Rufus' Ride - Block 50 Pit Progress... by Rufus
[March 23, 2017, 03:17:33 PM]

FULL Aluminium HUDBLOCK by Kukki
[March 23, 2017, 07:40:06 AM]

F-16 fuselage by simpit
[March 22, 2017, 06:11:32 PM]

Rednecks 3D printed ICP project by Redneck
[March 22, 2017, 10:30:47 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 672501 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2005, 05:36:02 PM »
In old christian Europe, december 6 is a day long awaited by the children ... That day, when they wake up - the fireplace is filled with present for them that an old man brought during the night. The old man is named Saint Nicolas.
Today, Dec 6, He came for me as well - he brought a big cardboard box filled with panels and other goodies.
So after having built and installed the kid's toys, I assembled mine :)

Thank you Saint Nicolas from Ft Wayne, indiana :)
Oh and Jay, thanks as well for all the stuff you did for me on that one.

The HUD, Light and Airsource panels were assembled and placed in the prepainted right console. As you see, I won't use Dzus, I simply installed aluminium corner section to support the panels backplates.

I still miss the SNSR and the Avionic power and the space behing the airsource will host the first SIM panel with the headset and mike jack and xkeys programming switches and leds.

Close  up on the Hud panel. The switches are std electronic switches excet the last ones which is from AGT. The caps are resin

The nuclear is a real one and I still need to do the blank plate that goes behind it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:48:03 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »
Those photos are starting to resemble the awsome MLU pictures you took!
Nice work Olivier as always Can you share a little info on how you mounted the backplates with out Dzus rails?  I'm interested.

Click Above For Information

Marvin

« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2005, 08:01:42 PM »
RD,

Great work!!  Its really cool to see a different flavour viper for a change..  That being MLU of course!!

Jody

Anonymous

« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2005, 11:23:32 PM »
:shock:   Very nice!  Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Jason

showtime817

« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »
Quote from: "Marvin"
RD,

Great work!!  Its really cool to see a different flavour viper for a change..  That being MLU of course!!

Jody

I'm really digging RD's MLU pit, that maybe the way I go.  

I also took a tour at Lockheed Martian last weekend saw bunch of MLU and it was awesome.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2005, 03:48:14 PM »
Some of you wanted to know more about my homemade Dzus system.
Well, it's pretty simple.  :lol:

I used regular half square section in aluminium, they are 10x10mm

Since I'm working on the left console; Here's the implementation of the rail system into the console

two section will be screwed together. One end is attached to the Left aux holes where the real Dzus are attached. The other are bent acordingly so they can be screwed directly into the wood flesh.

Attached in the console:

The above rail has been slightly bent and is attached to the side wall, the double one in the middle is attached as explained above and the lowest one is a real part pretty interesting to use to position the throttle arm correctly. :)

View from inside:

I will attach the backplates to the rail by simply making a hole where needed and using a round allen screw that looks like a Dzus or even better a mold of a dzus where a regular screw will go into.
if it's stupid but works, it ain't stupid  8)

This system creates some problem when installing some panels like the O2 panel because my rails are larger than Dzus rail. but aluminium is very easy to handsaw :)

Some shots of the panels installed on the left console:

Panels & switches are unfinished but already looking good. Did I say Mike's panels were terrific :)

Finally, I couldn't resist spending some more time to install the throttle arm in position so I can start thinking about how to implement it and placing the throttle rail :) And not the least, make that damn handle section to allow attaching the cutoff release and the arm on my Cougar handle ...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:48:28 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2005, 03:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the info on the mounting system, seems to work fine.

Your pit is looking great, makes my heart go pitter patter and great inspiration!! :beer:

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2005, 04:07:31 PM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"

I will attach the backplates to the rail by simply making a hole where needed and using a round allen screw that looks like a Dzus or even better a mold of a dzus where a regular screw will go into.

Gwen had come up with a great idea. IIRC you have access to a lathe, right? Take some aluminum rod with the same outside ? as the dzus stud, drill a hole for the screw with a counterbore for the head. Brake the edge with a file, cut to apropriate lenght and paint black.

Using aluminum angle is very simple and efficient. I want to machine my own Dzus rails which is somewhat crazy since they won't be visible when I instal the panels. However I liked the sample I made so much that I think I'll go with it. Besides, what isn't crazy in this hobby...

Nikolas

Python

« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2005, 01:23:42 PM »
Looking good RD!!  I can't wait to get to this stage of my project.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2005, 04:13:11 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys

Nikolas,
Well I think I will avoid getting too complicated on this. The idea will be to use M4 or M5 allen screws to attach the backplates to the rails. I will simply thread correspondingly the rail hole so I don't need to install a bolt below which could prove difficut for the last panel that is installed :)

I feel it's not worth the hassle since as you said, it's below the panel and invisible; on the visible face, a allen screw looks pretty similar to a Dzus and that will be more than enough for me.

But you're right on the quality of your sample, it lookk damn fine.
I have to apologize to you :) At first I thought you were a great CAD designer, with the last part you machined, i see you're a great machinist as well :)

Back on topic,
Some months ago, I inquired about what keyboard would be suitable for our cockpit project.
I'm about to start looking for one and I want to get one as small as possible, that could go on the right console
USb or PS2, preferably backlighted, but the really important part is that it needs to be tiny.
Qwerty will be fine, since I'm sure I'll never find azerty  :o

Any idea, comments, what are you guys using?

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline SharkNoir

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • The "Old" UCC System
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2005, 07:47:26 AM »
And for the RWR ?

Have you a fonctionnal RWR and some pictures on it if it works ?

Ok i will exit !  :wink:
Manufacturer of former UCC

Marvin

« Reply #296 on: December 13, 2005, 08:17:04 AM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Thanks for the comments guys

Nikolas,
Well I think I will avoid getting too complicated on this. The idea will be to use M4 or M5 allen screws to attach the backplates to the rails. I will simply thread correspondingly the rail hole so I don't need to install a bolt below which could prove difficut for the last panel that is installed :)

I feel it's not worth the hassle since as you said, it's below the panel and invisible; on the visible face, a allen screw looks pretty similar to a Dzus and that will be more than enough for me.

Red Dog,

Good choice..  I also used Allen Bolts  (that's what I call them :wink: ) and they thread right into my panels.  They have a slight appearance to a zuez fastener, and are easy to work with!  For some panels that have "pull to unlock" switches, such as the JFS, I even put bolts on them to make sure they are secured tightly, so they don't come lose over time.

Jody

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: December 13, 2005, 10:28:39 AM »
RD thanks for the compliments. You and Marvin are obviously the voice of reason. I'm probably overcomplicating things but it just stuck in my head that I MUST have Dzus rails!

Nikolas

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2005, 01:28:17 PM »
How about the small KBs used for Pocket PC. You might find one in a Bluetooth configuration and you can buy a USB BT dongle for your PC real cheap?

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2005, 01:35:05 PM »
I agree, the capscrews are a good compromise, they look good on Jody's pit. I was thinking of using a 1/4-20 capscrew, then making castings for the
screwslot in resin as inserts, anyhow,, the way I see it, our pits are just big wonderful fasads anyway :).

Since the Dzus rails got for the price of gold, I like the aluminum angle
idea and will probably follow down that path. For those decking their pits out with 99.9% real parts, its probably more logical to go the real Dzuz route.