CALIFORNIA BUSINESS TRIP - END OF APRIL by Strale
[April 21, 2017, 05:41:55 PM]

HUDCAM + Sensor by Rufus
[April 21, 2017, 03:20:24 PM]

ATD (Advanced Threat Display) by Rufus
[April 21, 2017, 03:06:46 PM]

Ugamanuga's pit by Ugamanuga
[April 21, 2017, 09:31:43 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 686112 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2005, 03:11:20 PM »
the right side console and right aux integration gave me some headaches. Since I can't model the real ones because of lack of room, I needed to think about what I really wanted as a first step before building the full cockpit with ribs and external skin.

So the decision came after long hours of mind masturbation  :oops: - I will use the same angle of the console but they wont be the real width - especially at the back part of the side panel. They won't be as long and I will stop between the KY58 and avionic power panel - although i will probably skip the unusable KY58 and place the avionic panel at its place.

The problem is that I really wanted to have the map and data stowage box implemented and I can't really with the configuration I chosed. So I decided to bring it a little forward. It will block the O2 hose but I don't care, i don't need it.

Another problem will be the elbow armrest because for that I need part of the side wall which I won't do... :lol:  Nothing really impossible here, I will just make a section of the wall to support the real armrest I have.

At first I won't place panels into the right console- just the Cougar in its base until I have a solution to install it into the real stick base. At that time, I will probably install some panels in the console. Since the room will be available because of the deletion of the cougar base.

Enough talk, here are the current status of the right side console.

I placed access holes everywhere :) I'll cover them with thin wood and magnets probably. At least for the ones visible from the outside.

The electronic will go on the small shelf just under the right aux. One Light PCB covering 35 leds (mainly for the warning light panel) will be placed there plus probably some Xkeys interface for the switches. I can't wait to be at that step :) But before I need to finish this one and then do the left one...
The full assembly will be attached with a hinge connected to the main cockpit stand. That will allow easy entry into the pit (although I will get it from the left side but who knows what the next pit room configuration will be ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:21:18 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2005, 03:55:29 PM »
Looking really nice,, how about putting it together with your ACES for a pic:    :wink:

Click Above For Information

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2005, 04:24:13 PM »
Great work RD!
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Marvin

« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2005, 04:48:11 PM »
RD,

Great work!  I think your sense of compromises are great!  I will at one point put an arm rest to complete my pit.  However, I don't use it, and nor do I think it really makes a difference.  I can honestly say my arm never gets tired or anything.  So I'm not even sure why that is there?  Maybe just cause they can?  :lol:   Anyway, the point I am trying to say is you don't need an armrest.  Unless of course you want one for looks.

Great work
Jody

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2005, 04:55:06 PM »
Thanks guys,

Mike, that's not going to happen soon, too dangerous for my wife ... well for me and my wife I mean  :wink:

lol Jody. I don't have your arm :o you should see me and I'm all skinny with a arm you could make two turn around with only one of your big canuck hand ...

but it's true; I want it mainly because it's a nice part :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2005, 02:34:49 AM »
I think the reason the arm rest is there is that in the real bird, you're pulling real G's and as such, you're arm probably get's a bit tired after a while.  Not so much in our case.

Jay

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Constructing
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2005, 04:46:12 AM »
Hi RD,

Wow its looking really great already!!!
What angle do you use for the right side; 10 degrees?

I also made the panels not as wide (just so i could put the fuel pumps panel in), and long.
My left panel stops between the fuel pumps and the trim panel, the right side between the airco and KY58, so it is easier to get into the pit, because when you have no sides its pretty difficult!
But i like your idea of leaving the KY58 out, and put the  avionics power there, i still want to make the right side again, so maybe that will be an option.

Take care,

Raymond

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2005, 05:19:30 AM »
Thanks Raymond,

Yep I used 10? angle for the console angle. There is also a 5? angle between the front part of the side console (touching the AUX) and the end of the console. The angle point is on the Third ribs from the front.

Speaking of angles, anyone know if the left console is 10?/5? as well?

Seems we are doing the same stuff. And we end of side consoles art the same point :) Yeah, there's really no way to place the KY58 while the avionic power would be nice to have. Not realistic but pretty much better IMHO :)

So you have the left and neeed to build the right. I have the right and need to build the left. looks like between the two of us, we have a complete pit  :P

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Marv

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2005, 06:36:14 AM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Thanks Raymond,

Yes, but the break point for the 5? angle is placed at a different location along the left console.

Marv

Offline idekkers

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »
Quote from: "Marv"
Thanks Raymond,

Yes, but the break point for the 5? angle is placed at a different location along the left console.

Marv

which is ????

Ido

Offline Marv

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2005, 11:48:10 AM »
That is, the distance along the inside edge where the 5? occurs is different between the left and right consoles.

Measuring from the point along the console's inside edge (closest to the ACES II seat) where the left and right auxiliary consoles meet the left and right side consoles to the point where the left and right side consoles change angle from +5? to 0? is:

12.5" for the right console and
15.25" for the left console.

Both left and right consoles are angled 10? inward, but there is a subtle bend in the console at the two pints I mentioned.  

I hope I make sense.  If not, I will clarify more.

Marv

Quote from: "idekkers"
Quote from: "Marv"
Thanks Raymond,

Marv

which is ????

Ido

Offline idekkers

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2005, 12:05:29 PM »
all i needed was the 15.25  :wink:

Ido

Offline FalconDK

• Lt. Col
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2005, 01:35:03 PM »
Quote from: "idekkers"
all i needed was the 15.25  :wink:

Ido

Anybody needing pit dims - don't forget to check out Feathers thread: http://www.viperpit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Claus

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2005, 02:07:50 PM »
Thanks Marv, the confirmation helps the planning of the left console.

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Marvin

« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »

lol Jody. I don't have your arm :o you should see me and I'm all skinny with a arm you could make two turn around with only one of your big canuck hand ...

but it's true; I want it mainly because it's a nice part :)

RD,

Ha ha ha..  Good point..  I think Jay is right, might be different under G..  However at our G level, the arm rest is pretty much useless..  But I think the main issue, is we want it to look authentic.   :wink:

Jody