Symulate 02 Platform by Symulate
[February 19, 2017, 12:16:19 PM]

Salaxi54's pit progress by NOCS
[February 19, 2017, 11:26:34 AM]

Rebel's Cockpit Progress by Rebel
[February 12, 2017, 11:11:58 PM]

Smith's Pit by Smith
[February 12, 2017, 04:34:24 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 654918 times)

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2005, 10:28:48 AM »
Woot!!

Awsome, homebrewed parts, thanks for the pics

Click Above For Information

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2005, 11:12:17 AM »
Ill bet that thin metal would take solder very nicely, instead of glue?

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2005, 02:37:52 PM »
Yep, Mike - pretty clever idea.
I spent some time on the week-end trying your idea but when I realized it wouldn't work - I started reading some "how-to" on the net and realized I needed flux for the solder to work :)
Since I didn't have flux at hand the sunday, I dediced to use CE glue anyway.
I'll probably solder the next ones - I have a lot of these to do anyway
But thanks for the idea.

Doing these is a hell of a job. It took me the best part of Sunday to make 5 of them with the casing: But it's done, now, they are connected to the UCC and lighting up just fine.

I had a tough choice to make here - Using the MLU light layout or the B50/52 layout. You guys know I'm building a MLU cockpit, but since I'd fly F4 mostly with a b52 and stopworks pit, I decided to adopt the b50/52 layout for the time being. Having done both the graphics, I can switch the light caps quite easily anyway should a decent MLU cockpit become available in F4.

Here's a quick fit (by hand  :o ) on the glareshield - the picture don't do it justice, I had to increase the ISO hence the grainy effect and it was pretty difficult to take that picture in the dark with one hand on the glareshield and the other one on the camera.

Anyway, the middle light (FLCS and DBU ON) seems not to be supported by the F4 shared memory.
And I realised there are one entry for the HYD light and another for the OIL light as far as the eyebrow are concerned. But both are on the same unique light on all eyebrow light layout I know (b30, 40, 50 and MLU) SO I wonder what's the purpose of this... ?
Boxer, are you still around?

Now, I can start working on the left eyebrow lights - only 2 over there...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:23:47 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2005, 05:49:58 PM »
Man, those are sweet!

try to buy some solder with the flux already inside, flux core.

let me know how it works, I'm interested in making some like you did.

Anonymous

« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2005, 07:43:13 PM »
Dam sweet Olivier!   :beer:

Cheers,
Jason

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2005, 08:56:55 AM »
Great work Red Dog!

BTW, I believe there is a light for FLCS fault.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2005, 09:01:33 AM »
Rich,

That would be great ... but I can't find it  :(  Any hints?

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2005, 11:03:04 AM »
I have it masked in Light Bits Array 3.  Here's that piece of VB code;

Code: [Select]
  ' Light Array 3 Masks
  Const MaskFlcsPmg = &H1&                                    ' Flight Control System
  Const MaskMainGen = &H2&                                    ' Main Generator
  Const MaskStbyGen = &H4&                                    ' Stdby Generator
  Const MaskEPUGen = &H8&                                     ' EPU Generator
  Const MaskEPUPmg = &H10&                                    ' EPU Power
  Const MaskToFlcs = &H20&                                    ' To Flight Control System
  Const MaskFlcsRly = &H40&                                   ' Flight Control System Relay
  Const MaskBatFail = &H80&                                   ' Battery Failure
  Const MaskHydrazine = &H100&                                ' Hydrazine Fault
  Const MaskAir = &H200&                                      ' Airflow Fault
  Const MaskElec_Fault = &H400&                               ' Electronics Fault
  Const MaskLEF_Fault = &H800&                                ' Leading Edge Flap Damage
  Const MaskPower_Off = &H1000&                               ' Set if there is no electrical power
  Const MaskEng2_Fire = &H2000&                               ' Multi-engine
  Const MaskLockLight = &H4000&                               ' Lock Light Cue
  Const MaskShoot = &H8000&                                   ' Shoot light cue
  Const MaskNoseGearDown = &H10000                            ' Nose Gear - MD -- 20040301: on means down and locked
  Const MaskLeftGearDown = &H20000                            ' Left Gear - MD -- 20040301: on means down and locked
  Const MaskRightGearDown = &H40000                           ' Right Gear - MD -- 20040301: on means down and locked
  Const MaskAllLightBits3On = &H7EFFF

I'm not using it myself yet but it looks like it's there.  Also there is a Flight Control System Relay bit whose function I'm not sure of.  I hope this helps.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2005, 11:20:19 AM »
Thanks Rich,

I may be wrong but I think the FLCS fault you refer to is meant to be the FLT CON SYS on the warning light panel and not the flcs eyebrow light.

Now thinking about it, it may actually be the same light being repeated twice... ??

Anyone know?

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2005, 02:44:34 PM »
Slow progress during the last 3 weeks, but a giant step forward this week-end.

I decided to start the homemade TWP assembly. The challenge relies on having the microswitch and the led all in a button no larger than 15mm :)
I was once again greatly helped by a friend for the assembly.
The faces of the indicators are built the sasme way as the eyebrow lights I did previously. A led goes inside the casing of the indicator which goes inside the TWP mainframe. At the end of that mainframe,  I glued a sheet of plastic of 2mm. In that sheet I placed some microswitches and some springs so by pushing the indicator, the springs makes contact with the microswitch and send the macro through the Xkey.
There's just enough room next to the microswitch for the led wires to go through the 2mm plastic.
A picture is better than a thousand words as they say ... and they are right :)

The indicators are uncapped

Front view unlighted. I still need to work a little more on the white of the indicator labelling, the result is already great but no great enough from closer. I had to place the grey pvc sheet behind the green and not before as i do usually so the white remained white, but i'm not 100% convinced of the result, I'll try other stuff next week.

Same but lighted. It's a dry fit of the roughly painted TWP, when i have some more time, i'll glue all the relevant parts and finish it correctly.

I was also finally able to place the cabin pressure gauge I got from ebay on my right aux. Seems easy, yeah! The damn thing wouldn( go through the aux hole, So I had to enlarge it so it fits. No big deal but since the aux was finished and painted already, it had to be a careful job.

pretty happy to have it 100% complete now.

And here's the giant step forward. The cockpit base!
I had a lot of challenges here. And I spent the last few months trying different ways and judging the max room I have available in the bedroom without having my wife trowing all the stuff through the windows (and me strapped to the seat mind you)
So I had to compromise about the angle of the slope to place the seat. But that is now over, the cockpit base is done;

Nothing fancy about it, but it's really the mainpart to start assembling all the subassemblies and i look forward to that.

Now, Where are my plans for that center console feet :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:24:26 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

liongreek

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2005, 02:53:13 PM »
Awsome work man, have the same problem with space, and wife, and was wondering about the base....any chance on passing on the general dims?

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2005, 02:36:58 AM »
Quote from: "liongreek"
Awsome work man, have the same problem with space, and wife, and was wondering about the base....any chance on passing on the general dims?

I think this should help:
http://www.checksix-forums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49965&st=60

Nikolas

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2005, 03:53:08 AM »
Charos,

Actually, i know Goupil quite well, we talk a lot :) but his solution can't help mine since he's doing a full cockpit and I'm only doing the vier2 stle pit. Thanks for the link though.

Liongreek,
I can give you dims, no problem - but you have to realize that the dimensions are not at all accurate! They result from my own compromised based on room available which in my case is pretty small :)
This seem unimportant when starting a cockpit project but you will soon realize that a set distance at the very beginning of the project will influence greatly the placement of a part at the very end of the project and that may pose a lot of unsolvable problems...
Read, it's a snowball effect.

here are the general dims:

All are in mm and I used 18mm and 12mm MDF.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:24:42 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

liongreek

« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2005, 08:05:24 AM »
RD,
thanks for the dims, I would say that we have almost the same space to spare, give or take a few mm...I read you loud and clear on the dims problem, I was ready to start posting my progress on the base when I realised that I had to share my side of the bed with my pit...I find your seat angle approach very interesting though...again, great work!

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
Nice work on the base and TWA.

Are the buttons on the TWA push to cancel, or are they just annunciator lights in the real cockpit?