Wolverine's F16 Block 52 by Wolverine
[August 04, 2017, 10:46:10 AM]

ACES II ROCKET TUBE PROFILE by JCook
[August 04, 2017, 09:42:46 AM]

Faan's pit by Focaldesign
[August 03, 2017, 09:35:01 AM]

FlightSim weekend in Holland November 4 and 5th 2017. by RUS
[August 03, 2017, 04:15:19 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 742359 times)

Offline idekkers

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 06:16:17 AM »
E too brute ?

my doughter is also due september, i also need to finnish stuff till then, got to work some....

Ido

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 03:34:51 AM »
Michi,

Here are some pix of the HSI:

The real deal, I had the chance to take a lot of pictures of dissasembled cockpits parts for the F-16 during the Volkel airshow :) Sometimes, rainshower are all benefits - it forces you to go inside see other stuff... :)

Here's an interesting pictures for dummies instruments:

As for my HSI:

and from a different angle:

The working needles is going to be a pain. Adding dummies is quite easy (since we have the space - actually, that's what I wanted in the first place) but having them turn is another matter....

Here's the graphic I made for it:

It's reduced in quality. The good thing is that since they are photoshop layered, I can delete the needles in one mouse click.
it's not the final one - because they are alignement problems on this one.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:04:03 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Angela Deth

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 06:47:32 AM »
Hiya Red Dog.  I seem to have missed welcoming you so.... welcome to Viperpit!  Glad you're here with us.  And thanks for the great checklists!

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 04:06:27 PM »
Thanks Gwen - Your acesII label kits is pretty good as well, can't wait to stick them on my painted seat....

Sunday was spent on the seat while the main cockpit still brew in my head  :shock:

As you can see, I added aluminium profiles to attach the aluminium plate

A lot of time was spent sanding to transform the sharp cutting edges of the MDF wood into a gentle curve. Be warned, don't get into such a project if you are not ready to learn how to sand  :P

I also sanded the knee protection to give them a more realistic angle. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Next step is to detail the two side panels with the embossement and rivets, aluminium plates,...
and still figuring out a way to made the head rest
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:04:19 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 05:18:21 AM »
I learned how to use rivets  :lol:

First exercice was to place the aluminium sheet on top of the seat pan.

I cut a 0.5mm aluminium sheet to size and placed it on the seatpan. It was then thermoformed with a heat gun and maintained in place.
The riveting process could then start. Holes were drilled at regular intervals through the sheet and the aluminium corner of the seat pan. Then the rivets were popped.

Here's the final result, For a first, I'm pretty happy with it.

In the meantime, I also started making details on the side of the backrest.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:04:36 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
RD, on the ACES side there, have you conidered using those you cut for a form to make aluminum sheet sides?

Just wondering as thats how I plan on making my next seat, using MDF forms. Dave has a write up on the process.

Nice work on the seat pan.

Click Above For Information

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 09:06:42 AM »
Yes and No;  K :o
Completely replacing the MDF with aluminium is not an option as far as I am concerned. Simply because weight is not an issue and I feel we can get as smooth a finish with wood as with aluminium.

What I intend to do is to place a small part of aluminium on top of the upper of the sides and rivet it on the sides. That will give just a little depth to the side and then I can emboss the holes I made in the MDF in the aluminium, using the wood as a template.
I will also use that aluminium sheet to attach the back rest aluminium sheet with rivets.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words :)

That's what I intend to do. Picture, courtesy of a friend who probably has the best aces model ever made  8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:04:48 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 05:47:35 AM »
A calm week-end devoted to pit(seat) work :)

I placed the aluminium covers on the side panels as explained before and cut the details into the aluminium using some paper templates.

Then I cut the centre line of the oblong hole and bent the aluminium on the inside. The round holes were done the same : a center hole, cut the diagonals and then bend the aluminium inside:

After that, the aluminium sheets (0.5mm) were bent according to the wood template. The front part was cut in section to ease the  curved bend.

Once a side panel was finished, it was glued and attached to the backrest mainframe:

While the glue was drying, I continued work on the headrest and the roller assembly.
The headrest is really difficult to do (And I'm pretty happy I don't have to do the parachute container) Thanks To JAK for his drawing  :D
It's a 4mm MDF plate with 2 cm square sections on the side and on the upper part. The oblique parts were done by cutting some 18mm MDF along an angle - That's really not easy to do - And the double curve part below are done by sanding a piece od 18mm MDF as well.

Here's the headrest placed on the parachute container. It's too low and the double curve parts are not placed yet.

The roller assembly are made of wood as well. The rollers are 1 inch (25mm) wide and as much in lenght. They are glued on a metal rod that goes in their center.
The roller assembly are simply made of 18 and 12 mm MDF and the upper part has been milled for the shoulder straps attachement.

Then assembled on the unfinished headrest:

At the end of the day, I made the first dry assembly just to test fit parts and here's what it looks like:

:lol:  :P  So far, I'm pretty happy with the result. It's not perfect, there are some areas I could have done better and there's no doubt that some sanding and mastic are still required. But it's a pretty sight to see it come in shape  :wink:

The headrest was test fitted as well:

All in all, a pretty good week-end of work. Some finger cuts and an index finger smashed by a hammer  :oops:
could have been worse  :P  for those knowing me - my lovely wife in particular  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:05:16 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Angela Deth

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 06:54:14 AM »
Great work Red Dog!  Your ACES II is going to be one of the best home-built ones around!

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 10:00:36 AM »
Great work Red Dog :D  Really nice. I like the roller assembly, nice and simple :D . The aluminium side pieces are a great idea!  This week I will find out what the shipping costs are of the seatbelt :wink:

By the way, you got a real parachute container. Would you make a little drawing of the pitottubes(or some picture's). I'm planning to make them, but I dont got good reference material :(

Greetings,
J.A.K.

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2004, 12:41:47 PM »
Nice work Red Dog, the aluminum at the top is a nice kicker.

Click Above For Information

Offline Feathers

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 10:35:51 PM »
Awesome work on that ACES seat.  I really like the detail on those knee guards (or whatever they are called) and the detail at the top of the seat.  VERY nice.
Jim

Offline nightowl

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2004, 02:44:49 AM »
Hi Red Dog
Your seat is looking awesome. You're doing a great job there.

I like the way that you have built the belt rollers. Thats something I still have to build, and I'm regretting not putting the thought into how i would do it early in the construction.
Are you planning on making an aluminium plate for the headrest ? I have a simple plan for the plate if you need one.
I've learned quite a bit through trial and error from skinning my Aces II, so if  I can help with any advise, please let me know.

Cheers
nightowl

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2004, 04:17:59 AM »
Angela,
Thanks - coming from you Viperpit mistress - I'm blushing  :oops:

JAK,
I'll post picture with dimensions later today for you. There's a pretty drawing on Xflight about the parachute container as well:

http://www.xflight.de/f16/simulator/case/seat/00_00_001.gif

Thanks for the comments Jim and Kabar.
I wish all the Viperpit team could sign my seat because I feel it wouldn't have been possible without the help I got from all of you guys  :D

Nightowl, Thanks.
To be honest, the thought didn't even cross my mind so far :) But that's a pretty good idea! I really don't know where to start to make that aluminium plate because the curves are so difficult to get - even with wood. So if you have advices, I'll take anything :)

Yesterday I took my second shot at making my own metal parts. This time I tried the rail rollers. I need six of them and after drawing the plans from pictures and using a resin model, I started working on the lathe.
Much easier to do than the seat arm lever and although it is far from being perfect, I'm happy with the result. 5 more to go...

I also started to study the detail of the side panels of the seat pan:
basic placement:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:05:42 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2004, 03:51:25 PM »
Jak,

Here are the details of the pitot tube you asked.
Lenght are millimeters...  :lol:

Anything else you want me to check, you let me know :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:05:58 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog