HUD GLASS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:27:01 AM]

IR-SENSOR - NATO ICP BACKPLATE by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:23:09 AM]

ACES II - SEAT ROLLERS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:20:57 AM]

ACES II - FRONT COVER by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:18:34 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 717203 times)

Offline mrwell

• General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #1380 on: October 02, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »
Very nice pit and video  :beer2:

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: October 02, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
@Red Dog: Great video man, for a starter you did swell! Looking forward to see more. Would love to see some close-up ICP functions!  :thumbsup:

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1382 on: October 02, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
Super nice video RD  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline gancio

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1383 on: October 02, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »
Very, very good video RD

Offline Leroux

• 1st.LT
  • Danish Builder on Long Final
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1384 on: October 03, 2016, 05:05:44 AM »
Great inspiration and motivation to keep building  :thumbsup:
- Lars

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live (Mark Twain)

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1385 on: October 03, 2016, 11:07:11 PM »
Great video Olivier,

What rudder pedals do you use? (have a spare set of CH Pro pedals if you need them :) :) :) :) )

regards

Darryl
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1386 on: October 04, 2016, 03:52:40 AM »
Thanks gents, it was fun doing it and honestly i may do a few others focusing on specific aspects, so if you have request, shoot them :)

Would love to see some close-up ICP functions
Sure.
ICP and DED interaction, i sthat what you want?

What rudder pedals do you use? (have a spare set of CH Pro pedals if you need them :) :) :) :) )
Lol, i'm not trading :o
i am lucky to own one of the realsimulator rudder. It costed a leg, but that was a long time ago :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1387 on: October 04, 2016, 05:25:15 AM »

Would love to see some close-up ICP functions
Sure.
ICP and DED interaction, i sthat what you want?

Yup, that would be awesome!  :thumbsup:

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1388 on: October 05, 2016, 01:39:43 AM »
:) :) :)
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1389 on: December 17, 2016, 05:07:03 AM »
Gents,

Did anyone make a move from older Xkeys to modern Xkeys?

As you probably know the original Xkeys are not programmable under modern OS (they loose programmability from Win7)
I still have older Xkeys in my pit (2) in hardware mode and whenever I have to program them I connect them on an old Win XP laptop and do whatever programming I need with Macrorecorder.

It's been working fine although not quite practical in the long term.

So I decided to get 2 new Xkeys.

Problem is the older macrorecorder file (.xkp) aren't compatible with Macroworks 3 files (.mw3)
So you have to redo the files. No big deal
Just read device from the old Xkeys on the XP computer
Connect the new Xkeys on Win7 or Win 10 computer and make the same macros.

Well I do have issues doing that.
The macros were all programmed fine, they are all identical from the old Xkey the new Xkeys and both are in hardware mode.

The old Xkeys sends all the keystrokes fine to BMS
The new Keys does send the keystrokes to BMS but it's not always the correct one.

The problem is mostly with numeric keys, keypad and alphanumeric keys
Unfortunately that's where all the ICP and MFds are programmed in my keyfile :)

So basically I wonder if the issue is not because Macroworks program the keystrokes in Azerty (Belgian keyboard) and BMS expects them in a US QWERTY layout?

For instance
"ICP 0" is Control+KP0 in my keyfile
The old Xkeys is programmed as LCTL+KP0 with macrorecorder and works fine (send CTL+KP0)
The new Keys is programmed as LCTL+KP0 with Macroworks  but sends SHIFT+CTL+KP0, which isn't recognized by BMS.

Now firing up BMS alone, SETUP, CONTROLLERS, without any Keys devices connected, I notice the following:

1. Numlock enabled
When I type CTL+KP6 on my belgian keyboard (AZ-BE) The UI reports SHF+CTL+NUM6, which is not recognized by my keyfile

1. Numlock disabled
When I type CTL+KP6 on my belgian keyboard (AZ-BE) The UI reports CTL+NUM6 which is recognized by my keyfile as ICP0

Please note, with the old X-Keys connected I always gets the ICP0 key recognized regardless of the Numlock being enabled or not.
With the new Xkeys, I get the ICP0 recognized ONLY when NUMlock is OFF.
Obviously I can't turn NUMlock Off each time I want to fly. I need to find a way that makes this work 100% of the time.

Is this something that any of you already encountered? Is there a trend?
I've looked at MW3 tutorials but can't seem to find a way to actually ensure I'm programming the files as a Qwerty keyboard.

- I tried to switch my keyboard to US qwerty before programming macroworks, but it doesn't change the syntax of the keypad keys.
So it has no influence
Don't even know if that's necessary to do - It wasn't with macrorecorder for sure

- I tried to disable NUMLOCK before programming with macroworks 3 but it does not change the programming syntax

I'll be happy to talk to a Mw3 user because i'm at a loss on how to procedd with this?

Thanks for any input you might have

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:38:39 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1390 on: December 17, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
I have 3 of the new Xkeys board and I didn't have an issue, but I am obviously using US qwerty keyboard. I know that there is a lot of unused keys in 4.33. You may be able to reassign the icp buttons. Sorry I don't have an answer though. :-[
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick, TM HOTAS

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1391 on: December 18, 2016, 03:24:23 AM »
Thanks mate,

well it's a known issue and a bug of BMS actually. The bug has been reported and identified and will be fixed :)
https://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?26190-Shift-key-problem

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1392 on: December 18, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, at least on my PC, you can change the num lock for start up in the BIOS.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick, TM HOTAS

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1393 on: December 19, 2016, 03:30:26 AM »
Yeah, but that wouldn't help as i use the computer for other stuff too. So alternating numlock on/off is not an option.
But as said above, it's a bms bug happening only in the UI. d is fine so all's works fine now.

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1394 on: January 02, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
I had some long overdue maintenance on the pit. So with the holidays I took a break from actually flying the damn thing and made a bit of work mainly on the ICP and throttle.
Some other bits also broke down and needed a bit of care

I'm starting with refitting my ICP with thumbwheels.
My thumbwheels always have been dummies but with the BMS FLIR active now, I wanted to make them operable.

The main issue with that is that I have one of Drit's ICP (only a dozen of those around) and the PCB layout isn't matching the one from Mike's or AIC or even the real one.
A few years ago I bought the thumbwheels kit from Mike with the non matching backplate and lately an Australian friend send me another set of thumbwheels.

I have done a bit of reading on VP about the thumbwheels and it seems a lot of ppl installing them had many different fitting issues.

Here's Drit's ICP taken out from the pit. It's a bit of a mess with the wires with separated switches and buttons and backlight

Here are the new parts

I'm not sure these push buttons are the right one for soldering on the AIC PCB I have in stock. I don't even know if the Drit's frontface will match that PCB. But that's what I intend to find out soon enough.
I just need to source some SMD green leds though.

The backplate big challenge is going to be bending the thumbwheels support at the right distance from the front face.
If you bend it too close, the wheels mechanism will interfer with the frontface
If you bend it too far, you won't be able to insert the wheels
As you can see the two thumbwheels sets I have are of different thickness.
There is also a difference with the pots in these.
The thick ones have just encoders with no pots and the thin ones have the ON/OFF buttons.
Ideally we need pots with buttons. At least for the HUD (SYM) and FLIR one (INT). the DEP RET and CONT don't really need it. But IMHO it's better to have them so my choice will be on the thin ones with ON/OFF buttons

To bend the backplate I draw a red line and a blue line. The red line is the size needed for AIC PCB. the blue line is where i initially wanted to have the bend.
I think the way that bend is made will greatly influence the way the thumbwheels will fit the assembly later on, so better safe now than sorry later :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog