Symulate 02 Platform by Symulate
[February 19, 2017, 12:16:19 PM]

Salaxi54's pit progress by NOCS
[February 19, 2017, 11:26:34 AM]

Rebel's Cockpit Progress by Rebel
[February 12, 2017, 11:11:58 PM]

Smith's Pit by Smith
[February 12, 2017, 04:34:24 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 654922 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »
May is the time of the long week-end in Europe due to some holidays and I compromised with my wife to be allowed to work on my cockpit project during one of them. I chose the longest one :)
So the last 4 days were devoted to modify the Right aux console from a F16A which needs intensive surgery to be placed to MLU standards.

The first step was to cover the badly placed instrument holes - regular plasticard and cyanocrylate glue was used for that from the back of the panel.
Note also the Warning light panel - that one was completely stripped and all 28v lights bulbs were replaced with 5v white leds that are driven by the UCC. That was a full week nightime job but it works like a charm.

The big panel hole also needs work so I can place the LCD for the PFD. There isn't a lot of room over there to place the LCD PCB so I had to cut down some strengtheners inside of the console. But it won't have to endure high G anymore
Again plasticard was used to make a new template for the screen anf filling the hole at the same time. Here's the dry fit test:

The next step is to reinforce the plasticard with fiberglass and filling those holes with the same product.
I also made a new support for the compass since on MLU models it's placed more forward than on older F-16. Again plasticard was used to make the casing.

Then the new instrument circles were drawn on the metal so i could start thinking of a way to bore these holes.

The compass casing was also reinforced with fiberglass and glued to the console. The new instrument holes were drilled through the metal and fiberglass without too much of a problem - except I couldn't use a good tool to bore the larger instrument holes and had to finish the work with a file - that took a very long time. But when we love, we don't count  :cry:

here's a close up shot - Yeah, i know they are not very round but I promise, nothing will be visible when finished

The same view but this time the new homemade instrument structure are placed. These are from turned aluminium - Done the same way as the right frontpanel instrument explained higher in the thread

Dry test of the compass:

Luckily the left aux was much easier to modify since only the flaps indicator needed filling.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:13:32 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2005, 08:44:41 AM »
Oliver, very nice work there.  I, too, have to do some surgery on my aux panels.  A couple of questions:  first, what is the hole dimension on the left aux panel where the aux threat sits?  Also, what is plasticard? Is this similar to what we call "posterboard".  And, when you did the holes, you said you reinforced it with fiberglass.  Did you just use the epoxy resin stuff like bondo, or did you lay sheets of fiberglass in there as well?  Also, do you have any more detailed pics of the compass mod there?  I have to do that as well and your idea is really clever.

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2005, 12:24:26 PM »
Thanks Jay,

I'll be glad to help

The hole of the TWA is 63.44 x 43.12mm

Plasticard is actually genuine plastic sheets. They come in different width and are made (mostly) by a company named Evergreen. You find those in model shops or art shops. I use a lot of that materials when doing aircraft scale models.

The stuff I caled fibreglass is indeed a two component paste that you have to mix together for the stuff to harden. I didn't use any fiberglass sheets but the product is heavily based on fiberglass and produces the same effect.

I expected the request for more details of the Compass stuff, since I know a lot of guys have the right aux console... so here they are:

The casing is done with 6 sheets of 1.5mm plastic sheet (What I call plasticard)
1. is the front plate with the hole for the compass
2. is the top
3,4 and 5 are the left sides following the design of the console
6 is the right straight side

The dims are mm and all should be given on the above drawing, but if you have any more reques, i'll be glad to help.

The sheets are simply glued together with cyano glue and I placed internal strenghtener (square plastic section od 1.5mm and 2mm were allowed.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:13:53 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »
Nice work Olivier!!

Click Above For Information

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2005, 02:56:27 PM »
That's great stuff Oliver.

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2005, 04:31:49 AM »
Work on the AUX consoles is nearing completion.
I got a chaff and flare panel from Jim on ebay in the interim time until we get working CMDS or EWMS panels. that won't be realistic for a MLU cockpit but as I said, it's interim.

The gear panel is AGT (with the still missing parts) but i'll probably get rid of it as soon as I have a better gear panel.
I also need to start working on the gear lever box.

The rightaux is almost complete as well. I just need to make the dummy cabin pressure gauge and some minor details ...

The PFD LCD is inserted and I just need to make box in plasticard, it was a hell of a job to get it aligned correctly (I had to file some edges of the LCD PCB.
The warning light panel is interfced with the UCC as well and fully functionnal. I just miss the ENGINE FAULT indicator but no big deal, i'll mke my own.

The Compass and the clock are real ones found on ebay. the clock is pretty old since I was told it was taken from a B17 crashlanded in UK in 1944. I don't know if it's correct  :?:

The dummies gauges where done with photoshop and laser printed on a transparent sheet. Then I glued a sheet of silk paper then I glued on transparent .5mm PVC.
The graphichs where then inserted in the turned homemde bezels, and the instrument cap was placed on top of the assembly.
The instrumenst are backlighted with a 5v light or diode that goes into the bezel. the silk paper makes for good backlight while keeping the letters on the bezels white when no backlight is used. The needles were homemade in transparent PVC from 1 to 2mm thick then painted black where appropriate.

On some bezels, I added coloured tape as in the real ones to give some remarquable points or range as in the 2 HYD gauges. I still need to write the text on the small wood part that is attached with bluetack for the moment.

Here's a shot of the rightaux with the UCC connected and in F4  :lol:

And a closeup : The visible green edges on the PFD screen will be hidden by the small casing I plan to make for the PFD in plastic
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:14:21 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2005, 04:42:35 AM »
I also worked on the MISC part.
The MLU, block50 is larger than the F16A part attached to the left glareshield. So I added a piece of MDF to the side of the MISC support and filled the curve with fiberglass paste that was sanded according to the curve.

Here's a alignement test of the MISC panel on the MISC support

The misc panel has been removed and as you can see, i filled some gaps in the misc support that were for F16A MISC configuration. I still need to bore some new ones. The resin is being sanded.

Anybody know if vishay makes white backlight leds?
I'd prefer to backlight my panels in white but regular leds don't do a 100% satisfying result. If anyone has an idea, I'd be interested.

This one was also finished during the week-end:

I also am ready to start working on light indicators and pushbuttons.

I made the graphics with photoshop thanks to your help on button dimensions  :) - By using the stencils and coloured PVC sheets from yellow to red and with dark grey sheets, I will be able to make the backlight buttons of all the cockpit  :D
More on this later with the eyebrow parts !
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:14:41 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Anonymous

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2005, 09:40:23 AM »
Wow, great post!  Very nice collection of parts Oliver!   :beer:

Cheers,
Jason

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2005, 11:25:13 AM »
Olivier, you HAVE been busy!!!

Beautiful work :beer:

Click Above For Information

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2005, 11:38:12 AM »
:supz: Rock on RD

Jaap

Offline idekkers

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2005, 01:55:50 PM »
great work RD

Ido

Offline Zandor

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2005, 12:49:58 AM »
dude...your gonna make me want to start a new pit!

keep it up!
Z

Offline Nutty

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • FlyFoxy.com
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2005, 11:47:53 AM »
As everyone else has said, WOW - RD ... looking absolutely fantastic.

Well done bud.

James

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2005, 06:07:58 AM »
Thanks guys.

I worked a little on the eyebrow lights assembly. Once again, plastic sheets are used extensively and modelist skills and toold come handy  :P

The box is made with 2mm plastic and the square sections are from metal - I first tried making these in plastic as well but it takes too long to get them perfectly square, so I reverted to these metal sections.

The backside of the metal part is filled with plastic and a white led is placed on the plastic

I have hesitated quite long on the method to make the light cap but I tried one of the idea this morning and it might just be the way to go.
The cap will be made of bent thin metal - the same kind of the metal used in modelism photoetched sheets. the sheets is .2mm thin, so it's really easy to bend it and cut it to shape

Once the template is cut, I bent it with the etch tool I usually use on aircraft model.

Before gluing I tested the fit and added the stencils...

The corners will have to be adjusted with mastic and sanded but the result is almost what I wanted to get.
The graphic stencil is sandwiched between a sheet of PVC of red colour and another sheet of brown grey PVC. I will probably add some more thicker sheet to better diffuse the led light.

Here's a test with outside light - the idea was to have the red text just about invisible in a no light condition and having the red text once the white led is lighted in the metal square section.

And here's a test with the led:
with the metal not glued yet

The next one might just be a little thinner at the edges with better cut angles in the 4 corners - I have to find a precise way to perform that cut :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:15:29 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2005, 07:57:13 AM »
Damn, that looks great RD.

Jay