Salaxi54's pit progress by salaxi54
[January 19, 2017, 07:21:47 AM]

270 degree Full Aluminium Screen setup by Kukki
[January 19, 2017, 06:45:59 AM]

Kukki´s Pit v.5.0 by raptor
[January 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by Boomer
[January 18, 2017, 04:15:56 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 645330 times)

Offline idekkers

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2005, 03:35:04 PM »
amazing work.

now why didn't i get those drawings yet ?  hmm

Ido

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2005, 09:20:03 AM »
Thanks guys,

Mike, I know that actually :) I just don't want to admit it ...yet  :oops:

Justin,
I'll start with the round ones and make the cylinder in aluminium (not too deep) with my lathe. the end of the cylinder will be kind of conical if possible. In the top of the internal pyramid , I'll insert a led or a serie of them according to the light level I will need.
That aluminium cylinder will go into the front panel (or the right aux panel)
Then I'll place a notch inside the cylinder to be able to place a transparent sheet preprinted with the drawing of the instrument. Then the needle but I don't know how I will make that one backlighted yet...

Then a cover made in aluminium also will go on top of the protruding part of the cylinder. Inside that cover will go a plexiglass

I guess a picture will be better than that explanation...

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Anonymous

« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »
Great post!!  RD nice work and thanks for the kind words buddy!!   :beer:  Keep us posted with more pics   :D  I hope this shows everybody that you don't need a mill to use the stencils.  Seeing your progress has me excited to get back to doing Cad!  Real life is kind of kicking my ass right now though.

Cheers,
Jason

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2005, 03:50:20 AM »
Thanks Killn - I know real life constraints :) but it's good to hear you're excited to get back into CAD work, because I'll soon need the LEFT AUX section of your drawings :) :wink:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2005, 05:05:57 AM »
Work has continued on the front panel starting from the right side and working to the left.

I spend the whole week-end doing the Right part of the panel that protrudes from the main panel and featuring the 4 gauges for the OIL, NOZ POS, RPM and FTIT.

The panel itself is made with MDF, the gauges are turned on the lathe in aluminium and have a recess where I place a cercle in clear plexi on which is glued the instrument sticker.
The graphics are custom made with Photoshop and print hi res.
Then a cover in aluminium as well with a clear sheet of plexi for the glass is screwed on the top of the gauge.
The needles are done in resin but I think I will redo them in clear plexiglass.

The whole set is backlighted but before posting pictures of that, I need to work a little bit more on the needles.

The graphics are draft and not glued yet - and the needles are just placed for the picture - I forgot one actually :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:12:39 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2005, 06:49:38 AM »
Great work Red Dog.  The panel looks terrific!
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2005, 03:00:35 PM »
Nice!

Click Above For Information

Angela Deth

« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2005, 04:57:18 PM »
Nice work RD.  Are you planning to make those instruments functional?

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2005, 05:21:40 PM »
That looks pretty darn nice.  The needle on the FTIT gauge looks spot on.  No you gotta put a little drive motor behind there toget them a workin'

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2005, 05:56:24 PM »
Thanks Guys,
I can't take credit for the needles because they were moulded on real ones by another guy. But since I can't backlight them I will need to redo them in transparent plexiglass.
My aircraft model comes in handy in this business :)

As for making these working, no plans for that now. It's quite possible in the future without changing the casing but I want to speed it up so I can finally fly in a cockpit :) So I'll first finish the front office.
My seat is feeling lonely without the front panel
 :D

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2005, 05:42:12 AM »
I also cut the ADI support from the A model glareshield so I could reposition the DED box between the backup ADI and the glareshield.
the glareshield front and keft protruding edges have been milled as well to allow easy integration of the DED box

Dry test fitting:

And with the stuff populating the panel:

Next test is to place that LCD ded on the glareshield and put a DED box with a 45? mirror in it so I can see the DED strings when seating in the cockpit.
That was the solution the beta test team found while discussing Sharknoir UCC project . As you know, The LCD PCB are larger than the LCD and will be difficult to integrate as is in a cockpit. We hope the mirror at 45? will be the good compromise.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:12:54 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline idekkers

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2005, 05:48:26 AM »
cool.

but you'll have to write the letters backwords or upside down if you use a mirror.

Ido

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2005, 05:53:39 AM »
Good point  :)
That's already done ... by Sharknoir who I think I will change his callsign to Zorro - the man faster than his shadow  :P

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2005, 09:07:50 AM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Good point  :)
That's already done ... by Sharknoir who I think I will change his callsign to Zorro - the man faster than his shadow  :P

Wasn't that Lucky Luke?

Anonymous

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2005, 07:48:51 PM »
Sweet!  Very nice work! :beer: