Henkie's pit by Leech87
[October 11, 2017, 02:26:14 PM]

DTU discussion by Rufus
[October 09, 2017, 12:46:11 PM]

Willy's Pit by Moon
[October 08, 2017, 06:17:00 AM]

DTU by Kukki
[October 06, 2017, 09:03:43 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 778233 times)

Offline ruprecht

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • pitblog
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2004, 07:19:38 PM »
Amazing stuff Red Dog...
- ruprecht
-- my crew: http://www.vaaf.net
-- my pit: http://pitblog.radsy.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2004, 06:32:56 AM »
I'm in the process of gathering goodies and brainstorming about the next step wich is the buiding of the cockpit mainframe in wood.

I'd need your help and advice and I can't think of a better place to ask my questions.

First, I'd like to know what would be the best height for the Side console?
That's a pretty difficult question since there are many variables involved. But let's take it this way:
I'd like to know the distance between your seat (top edge of the knee protection) to the base of the Cougar handle (say the grey locking ring?)
I'd also need your seat angle as well.
Any other rule or trick  you have can help me as well ...

Secondly, since I'm building a Viper2 style pit done with 2 small side consoles and the front center console and the 2 aux panels, I have the question of the lower part of the center console. Since there is no tub (floor) the center console foot needs to be longer so it comes in contact with the ground. At this time, I'm wondering if it would be better to stick to real dimensions and build the tub as well or to go as planned and make the center console longer so it goes on the ground.
Any tips?

At the same place - The width of the center console foot id too large for me since I plan to use my Flight link hydraulic rudder which is quite small compared to a Simped or a RS rudder. So I'd need to decrease the width of the cc foot or enlarge the rudder pedals...
Any tips ?

I understand these questions are pretty complicated? I've been debating with myself the pros and cons for the past two week and the left part of my brain didn't find an agreement with the right part!
So I need to be lead in any of the two direction  :roll:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2004, 12:32:28 PM »
I would build a tub floor for your aces and a real dimensioned CC, then I would widen my peddles, stregthen the hell out of the short side consoles, you will need those for bracing to climb in. I think you will find that once you get away from real dimensioned componants, its a snowball effect that will effect you on all later addons you may put to your desk type pit, who knows in a couple of years you may have more room  and you can just expand upon your project your building now, into a full scale cockpit. Thats how I would approach it myself.

(edit) also I would put the whole thing on some nice casters.

Click Above For Information

Marvin

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »
RD,

I would get a copy of Joe's plans for the tub.  Not really sure how accurate they are, but seriously who cares.  We can sit here all we want and try to make an accurate cockpit down to the inch.  But in the end, I don't care what anyone says, it will not be perfect.  Its all about how you feel about it, and how it looks.

Take mine for instance, it is not 100% accurate.  I made the ACES II about an inch wider for my size and comfort.  So as Mike said, this started a chain reaction, where I had to make the tub wider, the instrument panel wider etc. etc.  But if you look at my cockpit can you really tell it is wider?  Or does it really stand out??  If anyone looked at my pit at this upcoming airshow, and said hey nice pit, but it is not 100% accurate.  I would simply say where is your cockpit?  :lol:

One note though..  The first cockpit I build back in 1999 was the same as the 1/12 scale model.  And when you put your controls in there, it is VERY DIFFICULT to climb in without shell to support yourself.  So you my want to consider some type of railing to get in?

Jody

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2004, 09:19:53 PM »
If you're patient and can wait, Jason will be making stencil sets for the tub and hull to go with the console and instrument panels.

Jay

Angela Deth

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2004, 10:03:06 PM »
WOW RD!!! I haven't been keeping up with your progress lately but damn!  That's incredible stuff you're doing.  Keep up the great work  :)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2004, 04:35:47 AM »
Kabar,
Thanks for the input.
Well, indeed, I might lenghten the side consoles when I have more room later in life. :) Drit actually told me that I was building a full pit but that I just didn't know it yet  :o
By the way, what is a caster? Looked into the dictionnary but came up dry?

Marvin,
I agree with you about the small adaptation we do in our pits. It has too look right but we all have some sort of compromises to do.
The way I will get into the pit is by rolling the seat backwards and then sit and roll inside. That's part of the plan to leave the console on the floor and have the seat not as much reclined as the real deal.
Obviously, If I make a tub with the correct angle for the seat, I will not able to enter the pit in such a way.

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Marvin

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2004, 06:55:21 AM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Marvin,
I agree with you about the small adaptation we do in our pits. It has too look right but we all have some sort of compromises to do.
The way I will get into the pit is by rolling the seat backwards and then sit and roll inside. That's part of the plan to leave the console on the floor and have the seat not as much reclined as the real deal.
Obviously, If I make a tub with the correct angle for the seat, I will not able to enter the pit in such a way.

RD,

Hey that is a good idea!!  Never thought about rolling into the pit?  I still think you could keep the incline angle though, and still be able to roll into position!

Jody

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2004, 07:37:40 AM »
RD, a caster is a type of wheel that usually goes on heavy furniture or equipment.  I typically has a metal base the screws to the item to be rolled and then the wheel pivots on a bearing to allow the "driver" to "steer" the item being moved.

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2004, 08:27:13 AM »
Marvin,
The seat is actually a little reclined but not as much as the real one (I miss about 15? degrees from the 36(?) of the real Aces
I can easily change that by inserting a width betweens the seat and the wheels

Jay,
Thanks - those are the same I used on the seat :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2005, 04:45:45 AM »
I hereby declare WINTER over in the Northen hemisphere!

Tired of waiting better temperature for working in the garage, I decided that it was warm enough to start working again on my cockpit - the planning phase has lasted enough!

So I started cutting wood using the excellent stencils made by Killn. I must say, I'm impressed. I cut along the lines of the stencils and placed a center panel from a F16A (block15) and the glareshield edges are perfectly matching -way to go Jason :)

I decided to make the front panel in one part of MDF 18mm for solidity issues. If needed - I will be able to cut the MDF later to accomodate the center console and the ICP mount if necessary.
Since I will use dummies instrument, I don't really need to make the cutout in the panel, except maybe for the DED and RWR coming with the UCC. This might change in the future since the instrument will be dummies but may be backlighted...

The panel is cut and the real one is placed on top of it... perfect match on the glareshield edges, that was quite important.

I also made some modification on the MFD support. Especially on the MFD cutout. So far, I don't have any plans to place LCDs or Crts into these, I'll again place a dummy screen backlighet as in my current setup.

I am certainly wrong but I had the feeling that the MFD cutout in the support is too large for my MFD bezels - especially on the lower angled corners... I was afraid that these holes might be visible.
Besides, I want to use the 4 corner MFD srews to attach the bezels on the support - with Killn drawing these screws cannot connect to the support. That is quite normal since I assume they are meant to be attached to the CRT going though the support!

Here's the modified support - I also placed a notch for the cables coming out of ther Mfds.

Same but with the MFd installed.

Then I tested the paper template and the MFD in to the wood panel.

All I needed to do was cut two such parts in 4mm MFD and that was easily done.
At this time I couldn't resist doing some dry fittings of different parts :)

Next on the agenda is the construction of the MISC support panel, I tested the two MISC panel I have here and I have some concern to install them...
Here they are over the drawings:

that's a real Misc panel from a block15 F16A and fitting is much better - although this time, the panel is longer... Normal I guess since the MISC panel are quite different from older blocks F-16 to MLU.

That's an AGT MISC panel but obviously, it doesn't fit at all. I'm concerned because that's the one I planned to use and it's supposed to be a block 50 part, so I need to investigate more on this to find a suitable solution.

And finally, last picture of the front panel dry fitted under the glareshield.
Now I really need to find that missing left glareshield part.

I'm back in the saddle :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:12:13 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Hack

• LT. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2005, 11:55:38 AM »
Looks great Red Dog. Do you know how you are planning to backlight your instruments? Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Justin
Justin[/size][/b]

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »
Here's the way if progresses Olivier, you see those static gauges in your half center console? You will be putting working or glass instruments in there before long,,those backlit MFD's? Yea, as soon as we see data out,,in goes TFT monitors. Why deny yourself  :P ! Before you know it, you have the assend of an F-16 pit hanging out the wall of your bedroom.  :shock:

Excelent work! :partyman:

Click Above For Information

Offline Catcher

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Homebuild
  • VP Awards : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »
Way to go Olivier :supz:

Catcher.

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2005, 03:18:50 PM »
Awesome work RD!  Like Mike says, it just gets away from you once you get started.  Thanks for the pics.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio