Pence's Pit by Marvin
[February 14, 2018, 10:54:42 AM]

Sim-ACES II - SEATPAN by Kukki
[February 14, 2018, 03:31:17 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[February 12, 2018, 01:17:32 PM]

TiTi's pit by Kukki
[February 12, 2018, 05:23:34 AM]

Author Topic: Grease Monkey's Pit  (Read 318208 times)

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Grease Monkey's Pit
« Reply #810 on: February 04, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
WOW!  Great score!   :thumbsup:

I think I would have preferred to have scored a Fam Trainer for my pit.  I'm having to do a lot of metal work on mine such as adding the missing floor, console side panels and a few other things that wouldn't have been necessary on a Fam Trainer.  Still, it is great to have a metal pit.

From the pictures, it looks like the paint is in good shape and you will not need to go through pain that I did to paint my pit.  It turns out that I will still need to do some more masking an painting on some of the interior portions due to not doing a good job of painting there.  But hey, I sure learned a lot about painting in the process.

Anyway, that is an awesome purchase and will make the basis of a beautiful pit.  It will also keep you out of trouble while you spend the many hours working on it.

Finally, you can pick @String's brain for details on how he did things in his awesome Fam Trainer based pit.  It is always nice to be able to stand on the shoulders of others.  That is what this forum is all about.

Again, congratulations.
Thank you Willy. I checked with the person that you bought yours from and he told me that he didn't have anymore. Of course he is trying to suck up as much F16 stuff as he can get right now for his future endeavor.
 There are a few members in here with similar Fam Trainers so i have many sources. @String, and @Nigel have already contacted me and offered help and support.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #811 on: February 04, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »
Congratulations Phillip-

You are going to love having this!!!

Several VP members have been able to acquire these FAM trainers and it is nice to see you have one now.  Welcome to the club.  There are several parts of the trainers that aren't like the real jet (ie, rudder pedals & seat rails), but these can be easily upgraded using real parts or great replicas.

Glad to see this go to someone who has been working on his own pit for years.

Mark
Thank you Mark. Luckily I already have a set of real seat rails so these may go up for sale at some point. I have a friend locally that @FUSION and I have been working with that is helping me replicate a set of rudder pedal. Until we finish those, my Combat pedals will do.

My build thread

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #812 on: February 04, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »
Feel free to use me as a resource as well-

Over the years I have upgraded my FAM trainer with real seat rails and actual ACES II (the trainer ejection seat is just a basic seat, without functioning "pull to eject" handle and without much other detail).  I also upgraded to real pedals, real stick/transducer, real TQS, and better center pedestal / functioning ICP.  Haven't quite gotten to a pressurized anti-G system like String, or adding all the real gauges like Nigel, but very pleased with replacing many of the original FAM replica panels with better replicas or real parts.  The DZUS rails are accurate and allow easy drop in of real parts.

Most of the original trainer's switches and indicator lights were real parts, and integrate with a "Lighting Control Panel" that instructors used to simulate various warnings and faults.  I'm not sure if your trainer came with any of this internal wiring, but it is really cleaver how they made the pilot react to various simulated conditions.

Your re-work is just beginning now...

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #813 on: February 04, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »
My center pedestal is 100% real. The side consoles are from Pegasus, but have been rebuilt by @String to be much stronger. My seat is a mock up from Clark's Precision out of Fort Worth. I have the arm and ejection handle wired up to operate. The seat is made of fiberglass with a square tube frame. My stick is Ribbstick/Warthog. My TQS will soon be from Pegasus.
 The Trainer has some of the internal wiring, but it is missing the panel that mounts on the lower left rear.
 I would be very interested in finding out everyone that is in the Fam. Trainer club, since I am the newest member.... ;D

My build thread

Offline Blaze

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #814 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »
Way to go brother Phillip!   :yihaw:

Glad to see this unit go to a good home.  I’m also glad you are a “metal head” now.  :harhar:

I got to see and handle the consoles you just got with this deal a few months back....solid indeed.

Congrats,

Blaze

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #815 on: February 06, 2018, 01:06:47 AM »
Way to go brother Phillip!   :yihaw:

Glad to see this unit go to a good home.  I’m also glad you are a “metal head” now.  :harhar:

I got to see and handle the consoles you just got with this deal a few months back....solid indeed.

Congrats,

Blaze

Thank you Blaze. I am hoping to have it ready to go for The Flight Sim Convention in June. It is not going to have a brand new paint job, but it will be the original paint.

My build thread