Wolverine's F16 Block 52 by Wolverine
[December 01, 2017, 02:27:16 AM]

Symulate Cockpit Plans by Symulate
[November 30, 2017, 02:05:26 PM]

BMS 4.33 U4 is here. by Icarus
[November 30, 2017, 03:45:45 AM]

Azul's Pit by Azul
[November 29, 2017, 04:07:10 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 810332 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« on: July 29, 2004, 05:33:26 AM »
After spending some months studying the project, I finally started building something.

The idea is to go from the current setup:

to this:

The choice to go for a Viper2 prototype is simply motivated by lack of place. I have a limited space between my bed and my office table to place the cockpit.

______ although in the meantime, the project evolved to this __________

_____________________read on ... ______________________________

Work has begun with the Aces2 seat reproduction. Wood and aluminium will be used and built around a real parachute container (Thanks Marvin :) ) I used Speedone drawings with some correction and a great lot of help from Philippe Marchal a fellow Belgian who built a wonderful reproduction of the seat.

Here's the garage after the first hour of work, so many things left to do  :P

I printed an autocad file from Philippe (cross checked with J.A.K's) realsize to make some paper templates. That eased up a little the cutting process.

I found something I did some 10 years ago that might help this project:

The base of the seat slighly modified to suit my needs:

Different angle:

My first ever part I will do on a milling machine, the ejector seat arm handle. Seems like a simple part to do. I hope to be successful so I can make some other part for the project.

The biggest concern I have for the seat is the head rest, I'll make some test this week-end.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:03:11 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:39:31 AM »
Sweet Red Dog, good to see some new blood.  That's a pretty cool seat model you have there.  Is that from one of those 1/12th pit models?  I lov ethe way you have the seat weathered and all, looks very realistic.

Jay

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 05:44:08 AM »
Red Dog,
Great to see some picture's of your work, the couple of months studying shure helpt. Now it's only a mather of assemblying the hole thing :D
Keep us posted,

J.A.K.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 05:50:23 AM »
Thanks Jay, that's indeed the famous 1/12th scale model - about time I do a 1/1.
I make so many aircraft models, this is my first 1/1  :lol:

JAK,
Assembling and waiting some parts to arrive in my mailbox :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nutty

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • FlyFoxy.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:53:20 AM »
Hmmmm ... Red Dog ..... that name's very familiar ..... hmmmm .....  :P

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 06:00:55 AM »
That's funny, I told him the same thing when he posted up a question.  "Hmm, I know I've heard that name before, where was that???"

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 06:03:35 AM »
Just don't tell my lovely wife, okay gents...

James, Shouldn't you be extremely busy preparing something for... you know... ??

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.f16simulator.net
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 07:12:53 AM »
Hey, RedDog!

Welcome... "at home" :D.
The model is fantastic, and the first pictures make we want to see mooooooooooore - gimmegimme... ;).
Hopefully you'll have a nice pedal adjust handle in the upcoming days ;)

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
www.f16simulator.net

Marvin

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 07:56:43 AM »
Red Dog,

Awesome job dude!!  I understand the space thing too!  Once I get my pit completed I will have to move my bedroom into the spare room, and my computer and sim into the bed room.  There just won't be enough room to open the pit up and work on it in the computer room.  I am not too happy about that, and I doubt the G-friend will be either!  :roll:

But hey once you get your pit all done and start flying let me know.  I know this really good website to get some nice checklists for Falcon!  :wink:

Take care
Jody

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 09:04:15 AM »
Great work Red Dog!  Welcome to The Pit.  Sitting in that pit will definitely enhance the realism gained through your checklists!  Oh, and thanks again for all the checklists and maps!

Can't wait to see what's next!
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 05:27:42 PM »
Welcome Red dog, glad you started your project! Interesting Pit also, if I didnt have the room, I would build the same type.

Click Above For Information

Offline Nutty

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • FlyFoxy.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 05:34:23 PM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
James, Shouldn't you be extremely busy preparing something for... you know... ??

Yes, it's already consuming all my time. But hoping to have my controllers mounted before then so I can end up in the pit for my last bachelor days ;)

Good to see you have a thread here in this much quieter and peaceful forum! ;)

Cheers!

James

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 05:03:32 AM »
I know the feeling James, I'm trying to achieve the most of the pit project (without rushing anything) before the birth of the little boy in September :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, here's a small update.

I continued milling the arm lever for the seat but I screwed up big time. The mill's vice (?) is not self centering and I couldn't make the curve in one pass. As a consequence I have quite a bad result with the part.

But I know how to fix that with modeller mastic and sanding  :lol:

I also received the instrument set from Reactor one. I redid all images he used originally in higher resolution and more in the MLU standards. He uses 72dpi and it's noticeable at impression. So I redid the instruments from scratch with Photoshop. They are not totally vectorised but they are real size so size should not be altered.
Here's the total set:

Reactor one's work is really great! I'm pretty glad to have these.

Here's a comparison between the 300dpi altimetre (left) and the 72 dpi (right)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:03:40 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.f16simulator.net
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 06:30:26 AM »
Wow.. great pics, Red Dog!

Could you post some pics of the HSI's parts? I'm interested in getting one, but I would like to no, if it would be possible to implement working needles.

If you would like to change the font of the scales to the real one, here is a download link from simpits.org:

http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/dload.php?file=MS33558FONT.ZIP

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
www.f16simulator.net

ReactorOne

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 01:33:44 PM »
I did not know that you were so professional in joinery?  :wink:
Cheer Red Dog, that starts really well!!!!

I await the continuation impatiently...

R1