ACES II - SEAT ROLLERS by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:48:00 PM]

HUDBLOCK FLOODLIGHT BRACKET by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:47:14 PM]

CONSOLE SIDEWALLS by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:46:42 PM]

ACES II - SEATBACK IN 1 MM. ALU. by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:42:34 PM]

Author Topic: Rebel's Cockpit Progress  (Read 39783 times)

Online Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Rebel's Cockpit Progress
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
....hhmmmnn...swap eyeball vent for beer tap... :notes: ...check..!
- Rufus

Offline Rebel

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2017, 11:11:58 PM »
FINALLY!  Starting the avionics.  I'm starting with the right console and wanted to put my first panel switch selection on here to make sure I was headed in the right direction.

On the Sensor Power panel, the LEFT & RIGHT HDPT and FCR switches are all listed as 1TL1-3D toggles in Lightning's list.  Tracing the optional substitutions I think I can switch to an SPST 1TN1-2 and then use Biohazards's toggle head replicas to give it the form and fit of the 1TL1-3D.  If that works, the only major differences I can see is that my switch won't have the locking feature, will have a slightly shorter arm (0.25mm), and the price difference ($10-15 depending on where purchased).  As I've said before, electronics are not my specialty so any help or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Offline Rebel

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
With respect to toggle switch cap installation options, I just wanted to provide this as a how-to/possibly how not-to depending on your preference. 

Option A:  I initially started down the path of cutting threads into the toggle stems using a 12-24 die.  I felt this size was a nice balance between the competing desires to remove the least amount of switch stem material and to leave sufficient plastic on the plastic cap's base.  I then drilled and tapped a 12-24 size hole in one of Biohazard's toggle caps...and voila, a toggle switch with a nice toggle cap installed.  See attached picture for the tools used.

Option B:  I then tried an alternative approach by successively drilling (with a drill press) larger and larger diameter holes in another toggle cap until it was wide enough to slip over an unaltered toggle switch stem.  I drilled a 0.5” depth hole with a 5/64” (0.0781”) bit, then a #29 (0.1360”) bit, then a 3/16” (0.1875”) bit, then a “B” (0.2380”) letter drill bit.

I tried a couple of different surface preps and paints and what I found to work best was a light sand with 800 grit sandpaper, wash with dish soap, dry, then spray paint with Rustoleum Aluminum 7515 (no primer).  The no primer option actually gave a better surface finish and has adhered very well after drying for atleast 48 hours. 

My thoughts/preference:  I preferred Option B.  Even though you have to be extremely careful while holding the toggle caps and drilling into them.  I did loose a few during the process due to breakouts, but I thought it was much less work involved and less destructive to the more expensive switches than Option A.  Holding the toggle switch stems securely with vise-grips for Option A (even with small rubber pads between the grip and the stem) caused the toggle stem paint/surface coating to be scratched off.  I did notice that Option B tended to result with a few caps with a slight wobble when attached to the stems, but a VERY small amount of White Gorilla Glue (expanding) was applied and solved the issue.  While they might be permanently applied at that point (not sure as I didn't try to remove), if I have a switch failure, it's probably easier to just attach a new cap to a new switch and move on.  Hope this is useful to others that are trying to decide what to do.

Helpful hint either way, if you purchase toggle caps, make sure to purchase extras just in case.   :DOH:

Offline mrwell

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2018, 03:09:51 AM »
Thanks for reporting. It looks great
I did it myself like in option B and worked good too.
Cheers

Offline Rebel

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
More progress.  Right side forward console completed.  Not wired, but all switches, caps, knobs, and the guard installed.  Little works of art when completed. :)

Online Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2018, 11:14:21 PM »
NICE looking, Rebel... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:30 AM »
Very very bice work there mate 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
Very nice indeed!
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Raven

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
Really nice, clean work there. Well done.

Offline ramazoti

• Col.
  • Brand new newbie! :D
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2018, 04:18:38 AM »
With respect to toggle switch cap installation options, I just wanted to provide this as a how-to/possibly how not-to depending on your preference. 

Option A:  I initially started down the path of cutting threads into the toggle stems using a 12-24 die.  I felt this size was a nice balance between the competing desires to remove the least amount of switch stem material and to leave sufficient plastic on the plastic cap's base.  I then drilled and tapped a 12-24 size hole in one of Biohazard's toggle caps...and voila, a toggle switch with a nice toggle cap installed.  See attached picture for the tools used.

Option B:  I then tried an alternative approach by successively drilling (with a drill press) larger and larger diameter holes in another toggle cap until it was wide enough to slip over an unaltered toggle switch stem.  I drilled a 0.5” depth hole with a 5/64” (0.0781”) bit, then a #29 (0.1360”) bit, then a 3/16” (0.1875”) bit, then a “B” (0.2380”) letter drill bit.

I tried a couple of different surface preps and paints and what I found to work best was a light sand with 800 grit sandpaper, wash with dish soap, dry, then spray paint with Rustoleum Aluminum 7515 (no primer).  The no primer option actually gave a better surface finish and has adhered very well after drying for atleast 48 hours. 

My thoughts/preference:  I preferred Option B.  Even though you have to be extremely careful while holding the toggle caps and drilling into them.  I did loose a few during the process due to breakouts, but I thought it was much less work involved and less destructive to the more expensive switches than Option A.  Holding the toggle switch stems securely with vise-grips for Option A (even with small rubber pads between the grip and the stem) caused the toggle stem paint/surface coating to be scratched off.  I did notice that Option B tended to result with a few caps with a slight wobble when attached to the stems, but a VERY small amount of White Gorilla Glue (expanding) was applied and solved the issue.  While they might be permanently applied at that point (not sure as I didn't try to remove), if I have a switch failure, it's probably easier to just attach a new cap to a new switch and move on.  Hope this is useful to others that are trying to decide what to do.

Helpful hint either way, if you purchase toggle caps, make sure to purchase extras just in case.   :DOH:

where to bus the toggle caps??

Offline Rebel

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
Where to buy the toggle caps?  I bought them from Biohazard.  See this thread for details:  http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=10377.msg147743#msg147743
Rebel