HUDBLOCK FLOODLIGHT BRACKET by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:31:30 AM]

CANOPY SPYDER by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:29:35 AM]

HUD GLASS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:27:01 AM]

IR-SENSOR - NATO ICP BACKPLATE by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:23:09 AM]

Author Topic: Tulkas' simulator - progress  (Read 182508 times)

Offline dg_86

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: Tulkas' simulator - progress
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
So I was looking up the dimmers and saw the 4 channel kit where you get 4 rheostats but is for 12-14vdc. It is $65.00 instead of $30.00 for each dimmer. That would save $60.00 at least instead of buy the 4 individual dimmers. Either way these look like a great idea.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/nocturnalsilence/8b6aba1f3674477165f0509bc102589d.jpg
Tulkas' simulator - progress

Dave

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: October 07, 2013, 02:09:55 AM »
Just one note ...
Somewhere in my thread I wrote about PWM-based dimmers.
You may (or may not) encounter problems with this solution.
My dimmer design is also PWM-based (and adds some LIGHTING-specific functionality),
but can/will cause interference with other electronic circuits (like XKEYS) ...

Admitted, the "PWM way" is the easiest way to control brightness of lamps (and LEDs),
but this "easiness" comes [as always] at a price. PWM signals may cause interference,
called EMC or (perhaps better said) EMI. Shielding of cables may be required ...

- Henk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:18:57 AM by henkie »

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2013, 04:38:10 AM »
Just one note ...
Somewhere in my thread I wrote about PWM-based dimmers.
You may (or may not) encounter problems with this solution.
My dimmer design is also PWM-based (and adds some LIGHTING-specific functionality),
but can/will cause interference with other electronic circuits (like XKEYS) ...

Admitted, the "PWM way" is the easiest way to control brightness of lamps (and LEDs),
but this "easiness" comes [as always] at a price. PWM signals may cause interference,
called EMC or (perhaps better said) EMI. Shielding of cables may be required ...

- Henk

Good you bring up the subject.

What are the alternatives to PWM that doesn't cause ghosting?
What's the mínimum distance you should keep between light wires and X-keys wires?
Does shielding really works? I thought I read Nigel saying that he, Kukki and others could not totally eliminate ghosting...

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
What are the alternatives to PWM that doesn't cause ghosting?
What's the mínimum distance you should keep between light wires and X-keys wires?
Does shielding really works? I thought I read Nigel saying that he, Kukki and others could not totally eliminate ghosting...

I can think of two other options.

1) a regulated power supply. By adjusting the output voltage you control the brightness. The drawback is dissipation in the power supply. The power supply input voltage (secondary voltage of the transformer) is fixed. You vary the output voltage. Thus, the difference between input and output voltage multiplied by the drawn current will be energy dissipated by the power supply, that is ... heat! This applies for so-called series-regulated power supplies. Switching power supplies is a totally different story, and way more complex. Sure not something you'd develop on a Sunday afternoon ...  :whistle:

2) the energy efficient method as used in The Real Thing.
In the F-16 they use a so-called "variac", which is just a "standard" transformer where you have a wiper contact on the secondary winding and get the output voltage that you want. The problem here is that common variacs are designed for 50 Hz or 60 Hz power nets and have a large (and heavy) iron packet as core to transfer the energy. If you find the variacs used in an aircraft you will see that they are always designed for operation at 400 Hz. That that frequency you need a lot less iron (weight!), thus these variacs are small and compact. Further, a common variac has an output range of 0 to 110% of the input voltage. In the aircraft the input voltage is 115V, but the output can only be set between 0 and 5 Volt!
At this moment there is a 115 V 400 Hz variac on eBay, but (I keep saying that) nothing comes for free. To use these variacs you need a high-power 115 Volt 400 Hz power supply, and those beast are not cheap  :(

As to minimum distance, it is easy to say "keep that as far away as possible" from each other, but in industrial equipment they use 10 cm and 20 cm distances. Close to (and inside) the panel that is of course not possible, but once cabling is away from the panel, a 10 cm distance between PWM-carrying wiring and switch matrix (and analog signal) wiring should be possible. Even when adhering to these distances, shielding is still advised in industrial equipment!
Yes, shielding does work, when properly applied. Use of chokes and capacitors on power supply leads is  also advised, but the results vary especially if shielding is not applied (due to economic reasons).
I am confident that in my pit I will get everything working  :whistle:   :wacko:   :taz:   :bat:

- Henk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:47:22 PM by henkie »

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: October 08, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time for such a thorough explanation. I appreciate.

It looks for me it will PWM or nothing.

If you don´t mind one more question, what should I be looking for when we are talking about shielding?

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline Guzzz

• 1st.LT
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
I installed as well my PFL screen. The G15 LCD with its uncomfortable long PCB and short ribbon. Always awkward to install but I think I solved it right:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5095.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5096.jpg

Hi Tulkas,
Thanks for all the time you spend helping us all with this topic!

One question... or maybe two...
You use a G15 LCD in this picture.
Is this the G15 with the "fliping" screen?
How do you connect it to the ribbon? Any other Topic with this info?

I'm not sure what the right color for the DED and the PFD has to be.
I found people with gray/blu colored screens. Some others with orange screens and others with a yellow one.
Even some may use different colors in the same cockpit  ::)

Do you (or anyone) know what the right color should be? Or what se most looking like color should be?

Well... at last it took 5 questions....  :DOH:

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Saludos!
Guzzz

Offline Tulkas

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:05 AM »
-Yes, I used the old G15 with the folding LCD.
-You can see the ribbon in my first progress page and here is the guide I used to take it apart.
http://vipercore.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=488
-I think the real displays are mostly yellow, slightly greenish maybe. Around here we have available some very close to the real thing if not identical, from Pegasus, Ghost, Shephard... if I am not mistaken.

Un saludo

Tulkas

Offline Guzzz

• 1st.LT
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »
-Yes, I used the old G15 with the folding LCD.
-You can see the ribbon in my first progress page and here is the guide I used to take it apart.
http://vipercore.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=488
-I think the real displays are mostly yellow, slightly greenish maybe. Around here we have available some very close to the real thing if not identical, from Pegasus, Ghost, Shephard... if I am not mistaken.

Un saludo

Tulkas

:beer2: GRACIAS!!!   <--- Thank You!!!

Offline Guzzz

• 1st.LT
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »
It looks like the old G15 has a longer ribbon.
Am I right?

Offline Tulkas

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
It looks like the old G15 has a longer ribbon.
Am I right?

I don´t really know because I have not seen the new G15.

The ribbon in the old one is annoyingly short, that I can tell you, but with some imagination as you see in my build you can use it both for DED and PFD.

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline Tulkas

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2013, 03:30:48 AM »
Well, well. Small steps towards finishing the right console.

Some work done on the guards from Nikolas:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5532.jpg

For a while I thought about making them muself by hand. I am extremely happy I did not and ordered Niko's instead. Once painted they look amazing:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5534.jpg

I used 2mm spring pins for the axis, I followed a neat tip (from sagrzmnky if I remember right?) and used a feeler gauge for the spring feeling. I used a M2 screw and nut to keep it in place.

So a couple of panels finished:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5536.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5568.jpg

Also finished the AIR COND, but I have to change the screws on the TEMP knob for shorter ones:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5574.jpg

DO NOT DISTURB! GENIUS AT WORK!  ;D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_5567.jpg

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline Rabbit

• Live to fly
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2013, 05:30:33 AM »
He Tulkas,
thats looking awsome

Very , Very nice work there

Cheers Rabs :thumbsup:
Great balls off Fire

JJ

« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:27 AM »
Perfect replica  :thumbsup:  I see you have the canopy (metal) locker (How else i should call it) Do you have measurements of that part ?

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:12 AM »
Very very nice work there Tulkas  :thumbsup:
You pit progress is going good I can see, super good work.

Keep posting pics and the good work.  :beer:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Tulkas

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »
Perfect replica  :thumbsup:  I see you have the canopy (metal) locker (How else i should call it) Do you have measurements of that part ?

Hei JJ. I have totally invented the lockers from pictures and made them out of material from a hardware store:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/Tulkas_5Js/Cockpit/IMG_4719.jpg

Whatever resemblance with the real thing is pure coincidence. But it is a big compliment that you ask for the dimensions  ;)

Cheers

Tulkas