Grease Monkey's Pit by Rufus
[May 21, 2017, 03:20:45 PM]

Pit for Sale by Doc_
[May 20, 2017, 05:20:32 PM]

Backup ADI by Rufus
[May 19, 2017, 05:15:48 PM]

Faan's pit by Red Dog
[May 19, 2017, 02:12:11 AM]

Author Topic: Strale Project  (Read 197943 times)

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Strale Project
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2009, 05:19:33 AM »
Hi Dave,
i missed to write that i installed the diode ....
unfortunately even with the diode it's a NO GO for me !
i think that it's not a matter of kick back but it's due to the draw of the solenoid .... i've no way to measure it but probably it's more than 1A !!!! otherwise i can't find any other problem.

the solution i will adopt is to hook the solenoid to a relay on the DO10-RE5 board as direct output. And putting a flag on the gammaray input (the switch on the handle) so when the button is pressed the relay close the circuit and gives currrent to the solenoid... the relay are rated 12 A @ 125 Vac, 10A @28 V.... and for sure the solenoid can't deaw that amount fo current !

Davide,
Didn't you read that same problem that Pete had? You posted about it if I remember. You need a N4001 diode across the +/- of the solenoid and it will stop doing the spike. I will try to find the post, I am sure it's in his build thread.
Best,
Nigel
Strale (Skype: Strale_64)

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »
Strange that nobody asked me HOW i made the FLCS Test working .....

Well it's only a "trick" .... as you know the function is not implemented in Falcon .... as you know i'm using Beta Innovations's stuff and the only issue i can see on those boards is that, as far what i know, you can't give custom variable to the output (i.e. lamp on for 45 seconds)
So as the FLCS test is run only during Ramp Start i made it this way:

The RUN lgiht is switch ON only when the BIT's switch is in ON position
The coil of the switch is active only if RPM is lower than 75%
just a hit on the throttle and the coil of the switch deactivate .....

it's only Eye.candy .... but i like it !

@LIGHTNING
as soon as you have time can you check F4IM's SDK if there's a way to monitor elapsed time from an action and if there's the Change to have lights Blinking ??

Cheers all

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
@LIGHTNING
as soon as you have time can you check F4IM's SDK if there's a way to monitor elapsed time from an action and if there's the Change to have lights Blinking ??
If you're using the Beta Innovations SDK, you can programmatically make the hardware do just about anything it's physically capable of doing (i.e. turning things on and off). You could write some quick code to read from the physical input device and watch for the FLCS TEST input to come on, then during a certain time period after that, blink the lights. 

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: September 07, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
If you're using the Beta Innovations SDK, you can programmatically make the hardware do just about anything it's physically capable of doing (i.e. turning things on and off). You could write some quick code to read from the physical input device and watch for the FLCS TEST input to come on, then during a certain time period after that, blink the lights.  

eh eh eh eh .... Dave ..... ask me to open a control box ... remove the HW ... rewire it .... hooking it to a board and programming with a good GUI and i'm OK ..... working on codes well ... it's not one thing i feel confortable .... LOL .... it would be nice that someone could put his talented hands (and brain) on the SDK to make things more realistics ...
I mean ... the RUN on the FLCS panel works for 45 seconds ... ok ...
but there are lamps (during ramp start) that blinks .... either on the 5module 10 function and on the Caution Panel too, if i'm not wrong also the EPI RUN light comes on during ramp start .... (checked on the ramp start you can see on Youtube) .... this is something that would add a lot of realism .....but then .... i'll try to have a look

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:06:58 AM by Strale »

Offline Wolfman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • uhf-radio
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: September 07, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »
fantastic video :thumbsup:. And I almost thought you had attached a system simulator for the FLCS test. You're a great tour guide with an extraordinary pit  :hail:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: September 07, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Blinking lights...thats why we are all doing this, right?

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »

Well it's only a "trick" .... as you know the function is not implemented in Falcon .... as you know i'm using Beta Innovations's stuff and the only issue i can see on those boards is that, as far what i know, you can't give custom variable to the output (i.e. lamp on for 45 seconds)

@LIGHTNING
Cheers all
Davide
I am going to pontificate a little here, so bear with me. You have progressed really far in your pit and it looks awesome. The videos are what really gives you some idea of the experience of a working pit and I along with everyone else REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post. My point is that making a part of the pit light up that doesn't have a callback or equivalent in F4 is not "just eye candy". It is as equally important as anything else in the pit. Some of the pits that are almost done here have quite a few things that aren't functional but they sure look great and add a lot to the immersion. So I hope everyone keeps getting obsessed with the small details that really make a pit look as complex and fascinating as a real Viper. A good example is String2054 making the canopy pin receivers. Things like the Wolfman radio project. Red Dog's insane spyder. The wrist rests from Pegasus, the list goes on and on. Your "just eye candy" is worth all the time and effort. I mean this for everyone really. Especially the guys that build parts from scratch. The things people come up with still amazes me. I hope the guys like Muddog stay with it. Another great thing about VP is that for the most part, everyone contributes their strong points and helps the other guys with their weak points. Guys that code help those that cant and guys that fabricate help those that might cut off their thumbs. The only thing that causes problems is greed and ego. Just like RL. Hehehehe
  Enough of my sermon. Great job.
Nigel

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
HEY HEY HEy! quit talking about me,  :taz: and BTW it wasn't my thumb.  ;)
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: September 08, 2009, 04:02:57 PM »
Dave ... you're too kind to me ! but THANKS ! I appreciate ....

now .... let's tell something that shouln't be told:

Just a "massive" exe edit would make the trick !!!
or someone that put his hands on the prog's code to emulate what we need !!! (i really miss the chance to put custom variables in our interfacing programs ...)
but one day i'm sure we'll be successfull !!!

As you told there are lots of "maniacs" here .... some times i heard them called "geek" .... Ok .... sometimes i'm proud to be a geek ! LOL

and as usual My HAT is OFF in front of pits of others pitbuilders that achieved my same results but without the LUCK i had to find the real parts .... (i once told it.. THEY are the real pitbuilders ....)

Let's hope in future developments to make our sims "like" the real DEAL ... and i'm sure that one day it will happen !

Do anybody recall the times in which we were saying "Extracting the MFDs and HUD ??? IMPOSSIBLE due to software limits" ..

Well ..... it has done ! thanks to Lightning ....

Cheers

@LIGHTNING
Cheers all
Davide
I am going to pontificate a little here, so bear with me. You have progressed really far in your pit and it looks awesome. The videos are what really gives you some idea of the experience of a working pit and I along with everyone else REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post. My point is that making a part of the pit light up that doesn't have a callback or equivalent in F4 is not "just eye candy". It is as equally important as anything else in the pit. Some of the pits that are almost done here have quite a few things that aren't functional but they sure look great and add a lot to the immersion. So I hope everyone keeps getting obsessed with the small details that really make a pit look as complex and fascinating as a real Viper. A good example is String2054 making the canopy pin receivers. Things like the Wolfman radio project. Red Dog's insane spyder. The wrist rests from Pegasus, the list goes on and on. Your "just eye candy" is worth all the time and effort. I mean this for everyone really. Especially the guys that build parts from scratch. The things people come up with still amazes me. I hope the guys like Muddog stay with it. Another great thing about VP is that for the most part, everyone contributes their strong points and helps the other guys with their weak points. Guys that code help those that cant and guys that fabricate help those that might cut off their thumbs. The only thing that causes problems is greed and ego. Just like RL. Hehehehe
  Enough of my sermon. Great job.
Nigel

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
Very cool vids Strale, your pit is looking great. So much working now!

Click Above For Information

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
THIRD PAGE !!!!  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Ok i deserve it ! ....  but now updating my thread with a GREAT NEW !!! (at least for me !!!)

After some months i decided to finish the project of interfacing the real TQS .....
i had several troubles in the past months that were leading me to the conclusion that it was
almost impossible ... or TOO HARD for me ....
I were experiencing troubles with the trimming of the Axis (MR and AE) and there was no chance to have a good
signal on the Radar Cursor ...

Then i decided to begin again .....
i found a 34 pin breakout board and cutted the CRAPPY connections i made on a flat 34 pin

What YOU NEED:
Of course a Real F-16 TQS
like this one:

then you need
Jay's Proto Board

and the Electronic board that you'll have to gut out from your Courgar's Throttle !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/HOTAS/P1010073.jpg
Strale Project

After many attempts and hours passed with a small screwdriver and a multimeter
i finally was able to obtain the desider value from the AE, MR and RC ..... so i hooked all together
and fired for first HOTAS CCP, then Foxy and last but not least Falcon

I also added a pot for the throttle following Kukki's Idea (Thanks MATE !!!) unfortunately i wasn't able
to install the Hall Sensor due to the angle's limitation (90? max)
[im

First result was GOOD for MR and AE .... but i was experiencing a strange behaviour with the RC ....
the Y axis was running quite well .... the X axis was giving a 45? movement instead an orizzontal one ...
OH DAMN ..... Bad Transducers ???

just a quick check on the 34 pin breackout board and i realized that i was mixing up the SIGNAL with the VIN
quick change .., recalibration and
WOW !!! running SMOOTH and FINALLY STRAIGHT !!!!!

then i decided to mount the throttle in the trainer .... (DAMN GUYS .... fixing the base to the ribs is really a painfull job !!!! really tight space to move tools ..... and lot of time to make a good job !) I think that without a REAL TRAINER (with the right dimensions and predrilled holes) aligning the throttle with the guide rail should be very time consuming and i very suggest to ask help from some friend when you do it !!!! doing it alone it could be impossible !

but finally here's the result ! (

NOW i can say i'm an HAPPY OWNER of an "INTEGRATED" REAL F-16 TQS

Davide
Can you make pics of the final wiring? I want to verify how I have the two boards wired together and your DC  power connection. This would be a big help, mate!

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
Hi Guys ... are you ready for another update ???

ok .. here we are !

I'm sorry that probably my video will look always the same but as the jobs to do are REALLY INSANE it takes a lot of time to set up everything !

I've still some issues with the Test Panel ... but i hope to solve them quickly !

What was implemented from the last time ?
Mainly the interfacing of the Ligthing Panel (for the sidewall lamps and the instruments lights)
The AIR-COND (unfortunately i missed to switch the air-cond ON during the video so you won't hear the FAN noise)
and FINALLY the damned Landing Gear Solenoid ! (used one relay of the D010-RE5 Beta Innovations's board) to interface it ... it's so simple to deal with those boards that i took more time to extend the cables and wiring them to the board than setting it ! But NOW i'm not burning any output and the it's working like a charm !
How's interfaced ?? the solenoid is directly hooked to the ground of the 24Vdc supplier then the positive is cutted by the relay .... a simple "condition" (apply power when switch is pressed but check main power) made the rest

Enjoy the video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3CL3n0VhQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3CL3n0VhQ</a>

Offline 101-Douxx

• You shall never fail... If you do! Try harder.
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • You shall never fail... If you do! Try harder!!!!!
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • 101-Douxx's squadron Website
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
Very cool video!!! :thumbsup:
Now you will have to give more details on that test BIT light and mag switch.

It looks way cool!

Keep it up. ;)
You shall never fail... If you do... Try harder!!! ;)

Stephane "Douxx" Bourdouxhe
101ECV-QAF
Owner of Cougar#5795 ?2NXT#197
Cougar#4276 RibbStick#29
Cougar#11527 Stock
Simped F-16+
Cockpit site

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
Stephane,
just explained in a previous post ....
until we'll have a "time count" i tricked it only for the Ramp Start operation.
I set the output to be ON if RPM is under 85 % ..... you can't see but i gave a hit on the throttle
to disengage it ....
Hope soon to see a "time function" on USIM and some more flavours

Davide

Offline 101-Douxx

• You shall never fail... If you do! Try harder.
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • You shall never fail... If you do! Try harder!!!!!
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • 101-Douxx's squadron Website
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »
Stephane,
just explained in a previous post ....
until we'll have a "time count" i tricked it only for the Ramp Start operation.
I set the output to be ON if RPM is under 85 % ..... you can't see but i gave a hit on the throttle
to disengage it ....
Hope soon to see a "time function" on USIM and some more flavours

Davide
Ha! Genious...

Then why not put it at 70%, that way it will turn off on it's own?

Of course having a timer, it would be much easier.
When you hit that Mag switch, the light will turn on and lock the mag switch for 45 seconds.
That would be cool.
You shall never fail... If you do... Try harder!!! ;)

Stephane "Douxx" Bourdouxhe
101ECV-QAF
Owner of Cougar#5795 ?2NXT#197
Cougar#4276 RibbStick#29
Cougar#11527 Stock
Simped F-16+
Cockpit site