Salaxi54's pit progress by salaxi54
[January 19, 2017, 07:21:47 AM]

270 degree Full Aluminium Screen setup by Kukki
[January 19, 2017, 06:45:59 AM]

Kukki´s Pit v.5.0 by raptor
[January 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by Boomer
[January 18, 2017, 04:15:56 PM]

Author Topic: Strale Project  (Read 185781 times)

Offline thebeev

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Strale Project
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »
great pictures strale, thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
After the Report on the AFB visit  :reading:
it's time to talk about my Viper !  :wacko:

Ok ... here's what i'm working just in these days !

I was planning to dim lamps in the pit:
Side Consolle (5 on the right and 3 on the left);
Flood lights: located one under the left side front glareshield hood, the second below the center small glareshield and the third placed on the right side of the HUD block;
Instruments lights (Leo's gauges and then.... we'll see for the others ...)
Mal & Indicator lights (and for indicator lights i mean ALL the indicators ....)

so i choosed to head to a PWM board sold by FLIGHT DATA SYSTEM
www.fdatasystems.com
the board is the LC-40 http://www.fdatasystems.com/LC_40.htm
It has 4 indipendents Channels and it can work at 12Vdc or 28Vdc :thumbsup:

So first of all i choosed to uninstall all the real pots located in the Lighting Panel ...  :( :'( (some tears were dropping but ... no chance actually i'd rather to avoid with 115VAC@400Hz) ... and in any case as i won't part that stuff ... there's always the time to come back !  ;)

here how the job turned out:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010005.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010004.jpg
Strale Project

I had some doubts as the LC-40 was having only one GROUND connector .... so i was a little bit scared to burn out something ...  :-[
The Assistance of the Guys at Flight Data System is great !!! and solved all the issues !  :thumbsup:

here's a quick draw to explain how it will work !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/wiring_2.jpg
Strale Project

This afternoon i also mounted some goodies in the pit  :yihaw: :yihaw: :yihaw:
The Right Sidewall Panel (with the Five Lamps Holder)
The Wirst and Arm Rests
The Back part of the Left Sidewall Panel (with the Three Lamps Holder)
and the Emergency Canopy Jettison Handle - for that handle i will only add a spring but nothing else is actually forecasted.

Just also installed one of the two 28Vdc suppliers and tryed to light up some lamps !
Damn .... the result is far beyond my expectation. :excited:

Hope to be able to share some more picture tomorrow !

Cheers all

Davide

Strale (Skype: Strale_64)

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
AND IT WORKS !!!!!  :yihaw: :yihaw: :yihaw: :yihaw: :yihaw: :yihaw:

all the history is in the previous thread... so here are the pictures !

WIRING #1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010021-3.jpg
Strale Project

WIRING #2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010015-2.jpg
Strale Project

DRY FIT OF THE EXTERNAL SUPPLIER with derivation
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010024-3.jpg
Strale Project

THE OPPOSITE SIDE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010017-1.jpg
Strale Project

RIGHT SIDEWALL PANEL LIGHTED - PICTURE WITH FLASH
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010011.jpg
Strale Project

THE SAME BUT WITHOUT FLASH
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010012.jpg
Strale Project

LEFT WITH FLASH
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010018-2.jpg
Strale Project

SAME BUT WITHOUT FLASH
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010019-2.jpg
Strale Project

The Dimming is really awesome but it's working reverse ! LOL ! ... just a little detail i made a mistake while wiring the pots and so need to wire them again ...

Hope you will enjoy them.

Davide

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
Nice work, excellent job on the wiring.  Have you explored driving 5V bulbs with the LC40 at all?  Been scratching my head as to whether the MFD 5V bulbs should be dimmed or not.

Cheers

Peter

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: August 15, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
Nice work, excellent job on the wiring.  Have you explored driving 5V bulbs with the LC40 at all?  Been scratching my head as to whether the MFD 5V bulbs should be dimmed or not.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,
i'm just trying to figure out HOW to drive the 5Vdc lamps ... all the Backlited Panels run at 5Vdc and the only chance to have a uniform lighting seems to be PWM .......
I'm thinking at a couple of solution:
- The easier would be to find a 24Vdc to 5Vdc converter and using one of the 28Vdc dimmable channels to drive the converter: one possible trouble might be that the converter NEED in any case a certain value of voltages to convert in 5Vdc ... and at this moment i dind'f find any reply to this matter !
- The second way would be to find or build a 5Vdc PWM  and hooking it to a normal supplier (i.e. computer's supplier for example) but also here i do have lots of boubts on the resistors values and kind of timer IC.

As per the MFD's dimming .... opppssss ..... i didn't take them in consideration yet ... but probably they will be as they will be hoocked to the same power circuit of all the other panels.

Any help will be appreciated !

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 06:57:26 PM by Strale »

Offline Icy Knight

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2007, 10:02:18 PM »
i'm just trying to figure out HOW to drive the 5Vdc lamps

uhmmmmm, just wondering are you trying to stick to some type of replica standard, or would using a PC power supply do.

you could use the +5vdc from pc power supply.

my next question would be are you going to shut those lights off if the falcon software says their supposed to be off, or are these lights going to be completely manually controlled.

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2007, 02:44:58 AM »
I've been looking a having them on all the time or using the power available flag in shared memory (hopefully it is there).  I was looking at using a multi-ganged pot for controlling the dimming. The tricky bit is finding a 5V dimmer, at 1.6Amps
Ref : http://www.f-16sim.rengaf.net/Cockpit/Center%20Console/MFD%27s/MFD.htm
I think the LC 40 will only do down to 12V which is more than fine for backlighting leds, but not so good for lights.  Yes I could put a resistor in series with the bulbs off PWM, but it would have to be a pretty good size (1.66A*7V=11Watt resistor).

Cheers

Peter

uhmmmmm, just wondering are you trying to stick to some type of replica standard, or would using a PC power supply do.

my next question would be are you going to shut those lights off if the falcon software says their supposed to be off, or are these lights going to be completely manually controlled.

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2007, 04:40:10 AM »

Yes probably a PC power supplier might do the Job ... never realised ( :-[) that PC power suppliers have a embedded PWM ..... i will make a try soon !

As per your second question i can't understand if you're referring to the internal lighting or to the indicators.
All the in dicators and lighted pushbuttons will be driven by UCC or EFFLUX (so they will switch on or off according to the Sim), probably only the Magnetically held switches and the solenoids will have a dedicated (not dimmed) power line.
All the Consolle's lights, spot lights, flood lights and backlited panels will be INDIPENDENT from the SIM. (the Spot lights will have also a "not dimmed" line as they've a built in pot.)

Cheers

Davide
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:43:00 AM by Strale »

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2007, 04:53:33 AM »
If i were You i'd hook them up to the lighting panel's pot ("primary - consolle")
so you can enter the pit "DARK AND COLD"  and then bringing her to life as in the real deal.
i don't think that the real deal lights up indipendently from a switch ...

Cheers

I've been looking a having them on all the time or using the power available flag in shared memory (hopefully it is there).  I was looking at using a multi-ganged pot for controlling the dimming. The tricky bit is finding a 5V dimmer, at 1.6Amps
Ref : http://www.f-16sim.rengaf.net/Cockpit/Center%20Console/MFD%27s/MFD.htm
I think the LC 40 will only do down to 12V which is more than fine for backlighting leds, but not so good for lights.  Yes I could put a resistor in series with the bulbs off PWM, but it would have to be a pretty good size (1.66A*7V=11Watt resistor).

Cheers

Peter

Offline Icy Knight

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »
If i were You i'd hook them up to the lighting panel's pot ("primary - consolle")
so you can enter the pit "DARK AND COLD"  and then bringing her to life as in the real deal.
i don't think that the real deal lights up indipendently from a switch ...

yes I would imagine you would hook them up in the real deal way, that way when you get shot and you loose panel power the lights go out.

in which case use a pc power supply to provide the power to the lights, but use a relay to control when the pc power is applied to the lights.

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
Hey Strale!
That pit look awsome, it looks like the real deal.

The bulp in the sidepanel light, what volt is yours, cause mine is 3 volt.
i will hook those up to a pc psu, and hopefully get a potmeter to make the dim function.
You can change all the bulps to 5 volt so they follow the panel lights.
I have 3, 5 and 12 volt bulps for those.
But i mean the real light bulps is low volt like 3 to 3,3 volt, cause when i got my first real side panel with original light in i started to put 12v on it, and pow they where dead  :wacko:

Hope to see more pics Davide, and  keep up the good work.
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »
yes I would imagine you would hook them up in the real deal way, that way when you get shot and you loose panel power the lights go out.

in which case use a pc power supply to provide the power to the lights, but use a relay to control when the pc power is applied to the lights.

I don't know if that's is feaseable with Falcon.
Take in consideration that i'm not dealing with LEDS so an unique voltage ... i'm dealing with 3 different voltages: 28Vdc, 12 and 5Vdc. might be a pain in the ass trying to do so.

A Relay ?? ok ok ... explain better please my knowledge is not so precise.
thanks

Davide

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2007, 03:47:57 PM »
Hey Strale!
That pit look awsome, it looks like the real deal.

Hmmmmm.... Kukki .. that's the REAL DEAL ... or well ... it's an old F-16A Weapon Trainer Unit .... that in these years I modifyed to a block 52 looking style

The bulp in the sidepanel light, what volt is yours, cause mine is 3 volt.
i will hook those up to a pc psu, and hopefully get a potmeter to make the dim function.

I don't know exactely they are working with 28Vdc but quite for sure they're 12 Vdc (at full brightness they heat quickly ... and they're also too bright !)

You can change all the bulps to 5 volt so they follow the panel lights.
I have 3, 5 and 12 volt bulps for those.

I'd rather to deal with 24Vdc lights .... thanks

But i mean the real light bulps is low volt like 3 to 3,3 volt, cause when i got my first real side panel with original light in i started to put 12v on it, and pow they where dead  :wacko:

Hmmmm that sounds strange Kukki... also my sidewall panels are the real deal .. .and they were mounting 28Vdc lamps ..... unfortunately only one was working .. so i need to replace them all .... now it's working and it's fine ..... as soon as i will get the 24vdc bulbs i will place them there !

Hope to see more pics Davide, and  keep up the good work.

Sure Kukki,
i spent the WHOLE day in the pit today .... finished some paint works, installed the spot light on the upper right sidewall panel, installed the Chaff and Flare plunge.... (all is wired) and ran some "power" wires along the pit.
Unfortunately the Trainer was missing quite all the support for thingies so i had to deal for about 1 1/2 hour to install the spot light .... founding a good isolated support, drilling holes, checking and checking again that nothing was to ground ... and so on ... but damn .... all is coming out great !

Cheers

Davide

Offline Jarrod66

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »
Wow,

I haven't had time to look at progress threads lately but that looks awesome Davide...

Later,
Jarrod

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2007, 04:07:56 AM »
Hi Jarrod and thanks !
in the last two days i made some improvement on the wiring and prepared a couple of boxes to protect main power sources.
installed also a the Grimes spot/flood light on the right side consolle and the little spot light located
on the left upper sidewall panel.

Damn ..... it took quite all yesterday afternoon to modify the wiring and adding other power lines to the left side:
Now i have:
1) Active 24 Vdc variable line (consolle's lights)
1) Active 24 Vdc direct line (spot lights that has internal dimmers (4 lights) + magnetically held switches (this line will be splitted one will power up lights directly the other one will power up only the magnetically held switches through UCC)
1) Active 24 Vdc variable line (for dimming indicators) hooked to the UCC

still have to run wires for a dimmable line for Instruments on the right side consolle.

Then i will have to figure out HOW to power up the panels that run at 5Vdc through a dimmable power line.

next update with picture at the end of the week.

Cheers all

Davide