ACES II PARECHUTE CONTAINER (NEW MODEL) by Kukki
[September 29, 2017, 04:44:18 PM]

Kukki´s Full Metal F-16 Cockpit by Lento
[September 29, 2017, 03:37:07 PM]

Lento's student pit: the new life! by Rufus
[September 28, 2017, 03:15:26 PM]

Hammer.PT F16 MLU by Rufus
[September 27, 2017, 08:58:42 PM]

Author Topic: Strale Project  (Read 218097 times)

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2006, 04:58:35 PM »
Thanks Flareless !  :)

there's a lot of way to go .... but one day i'm sure i'll be able to "fly" !  :lol:

As per the seat .. yep ... i know i need a lot of luck ! .... but i'm having some ideas !

First i have to put in place (i need a router's holder) my CNC ..... then i think i could upgrade it with longer endless screws and bars to have a greater gantry ...... probably it won't be so difficult ....
if i might be successfull i think the chance to restore the seat will be higher !!! .... or at least i will build another one !  :lol:  

Some months ago i was thinking to sell it on eBay ..... but then changed my mind ..... or quite !

Cheers

Davide
Strale (Skype: Strale_64)

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2006, 09:12:18 AM »
jesus thats a lot of friggin money right there!
HOLLYWOOD

Offline Feathers

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
Davide,
hehehehe, man that trainer has travelled a lot.   For those that don't know it used to be mine.   I bought it , then I sold it and that person sold it to Davide.  hehehehe.    

Its an F-16 A model Weapons System Trainer built by Singer Link.   There are only 19 of them left in the world.   The other 20 that were built have been scrapped by the military.   I talked to the Program Manager who is in charge of those things for the military and it made him smile when I told him about it.

When I got it it was actually sitting on another section of frame that made it an additional 3 feet higher.   I had to remove that lower section just to get it on a truck.   I then sold that section for scrap for a whopping total of $7.50.   Steel just doesn't have much of a scrap value.  hehehe.

Its looking good Davide, I'm glad it found a good home.
Jim

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2006, 04:57:55 PM »
Quote from: "Feathers"
Davide,
hehehehe, man that trainer has travelled a lot.   For those that don't know it used to be mine.   I bought it , then I sold it and that person sold it to Davide.  hehehehe.    

Yep Jim,
it travelled really a lot ! ...

Its an F-16 A model Weapons System Trainer built by Singer Link.   There are only 19 of them left in the world.   The other 20 that were built have been scrapped by the military.  

So this is the very last Trainer still "living" .... well ... it has really few things from the Old layout .....
Main instrument panel and center consolle were upgraded to a Block 52 looking style, the left auxiliary panel was modified (filling the hole for LE FLAPS indicator) .... and the Right Auxiliary Consolle actually has quite all the holes filled with metal expoxy .....
Today i got some hole saw so as soon as i'll be back from my vacation i will begin to drill the holes for a block 52 looking style !
It would be great if you could find the outer skins ..... but if all the others were scrapped i really have few hope to find a suitable skin for it !

I talked to the Program Manager who is in charge of those things for the military and it made him smile when I told him about it.

Did you told him all the Tale ??? Damn .. would it be nice to keep in touch with him !

When I got it it was actually sitting on another section of frame that made it an additional 3 feet higher.   I had to remove that lower section just to get it on a truck.   I then sold that section for scrap for a whopping total of $7.50.   Steel just doesn't have much of a scrap value.  hehehe.

7.50 or 750 ?? ... damn ... if you go to a scrapeyard here in Italy you pay min. 1 Euro each Kg. of stuff you take .....

Its looking good Davide, I'm glad it found a good home.

Thanks Jim ..... i'm glad too !

Cheers

Davide

Jim

Offline Feathers

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2006, 11:49:13 PM »
Davide,
There were 39 of these trainers made and only 19 of them are still alive, 20 of them have been scrapped.  

Here in the U.S. steel doesn't have very much value unless you have tons and tons of the stuff.
Jim

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2006, 05:04:42 AM »
Also, Davide, you'll find out that if you try to sell them scrap, the prices will be much, much lower.

A friend of mine sells bolts and fasteners. He has tons of obsolete types of fasteners he wanted to sell for scrap. The price was hardly covering the handling costs.

Nikolas

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2006, 06:58:04 AM »
Ok Guys,

so i suggest you to consider to open a "scrap" selling office here in Italy .... eh eh eh eh .....
One day i saw at a JunkYard the Radar Cone of a Tornado ..... and asked for the price ! ..... 250 Euros ! ....
There were some Pylons too ..... also there asked for price ... 300 Euros ....
Think that if you're a "private" you can't cover your handling costs .... but if you try to buy back your own stuff ... you'll find it really pricey !!!

Cheers

Davide

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »
Davide, what I'm trying to say is that they buy low and sell high, everywhere in the world. If you went to the same yard trying to sell a Radar Cone they'd probably offer you 10? or something.

Nikolas

Offline Iceman_JD

• Col.
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »
Hi Strale,

My name is John and I live in Glendale, Arizona.  One of the many cities that make up Phoenix.  

I'm new to the ViperPit forum and joined because like everybody else here I was bit by the pit building bug.  I'd like to say your doing a great job on your project from what I can see from you posts and very impressed with you work.

Oh and by the way I'm going on vacation in March 2007 and will be in Italy for a few days and love to see your project in person.  Don't know if I'll be in your area or will have the time but things have a way of working out.  Anyway just wanted to say hello.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

John

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »
Quote from: "Iceman_JD"
Hi Strale,

My name is John and I live in Glendale, Arizona.  One of the many cities that make up Phoenix.  

I'm new to the ViperPit forum and joined because like everybody else here I was bit by the pit building bug.  I'd like to say your doing a great job on your project from what I can see from you posts and very impressed with you work.

Oh and by the way I'm going on vacation in March 2007 and will be in Italy for a few days and love to see your project in person.  Don't know if I'll be in your area or will have the time but things have a way of working out.  Anyway just wanted to say hello.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

John

Hi John
thanks for your kind words .....
as per your trip to Italy ... just let me know your stops ... and we'll see if there's the chance to meet .... i will be very glad !

Cheers

Davide

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »
Ok guys ... i'm not still .... but obviously things are getting harder day by day .....
These days i finally was able to connect (electronically) my Block 52 Stick to a Block 5 Base .....
Of course the game was not easy ....
First i had to find a suitable connector (37 pins) as i didn't want to connect "flying" cables .... and I MUST thanks the Old Friend MATT .....

Then i had to replace ALL the wires removing the old center connector on the base ... and DAMN you can bet that placing 31 cables in the Base was surely not easy .....
Made a lot of mistakes .... but the experience is growing .......

At the end of the work only ONE button was not responding .... but fortunatly was only due to a not complete insertion of the female pin in the connector ... so it was easily fixed !

Well .... You can bet Guys that checking each function of the stick with the multimeter was really full of Pathos ..... and satisfation was great at the enf of the work ! .......

Some pictures .... ok .. not much to see ... but a NICE SSC & STICK!! LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/ssc_3.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/ssc_2.jpg
Strale Project

The Original connector (an Ampthenol 7826 M24308/4-12) a 26 pin high density was swapped with a standard DB25 ... (here made another error .... i thought to install the connector from the inside ... but realized too late that I had soldered from the Outside !  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: )....
I don't plan to "rewire" again .... i will live with it ! but as usual next time i will deal with such problems ... i remember my mistakes !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/ssc_1.jpg
Strale Project

Just want to know how I lost about 2 hours this evening ???
The DB25 hold the switches and hats signals .... there are 22 active seginals and one common wire ..... try to figure out preparing 22 little cable's rolls of 5 meters to join the stick to the EPIC on the back of my trainer .... ! DAMN ! ..... that's a lot of time ....  10 made ..... 13 still to make !

But i didn't finish .....

Having a real Stick and SSC lead to other problems ...... How to make it works with a SIM ....

And here comes in help the MKI controller made by Marv de Beque ... (a great friend of me decided to sell it ... and ... i was glad to buy it !) .......

Here a couple of reference's pictures

MKI Front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/MKI_front.jpg
Strale Project

MKI Rear

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/MKI_rear.jpg
Strale Project

Actual Status:
Pitch Cable: Wired
Roll Cable: Wired
Power Cable: 80% Wired ... (still need a couple of informations from Marv)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/marv_controller2.jpg
Strale Project

and here how the whole assembly looks like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/ssccontroller.jpg
Strale Project

I hope you enjoyed this post

Cheers All

Davide

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »
Ok it's time for another update ! ...
well ... nothing serious out the "stuff" ... but as there was a missing part from the left side consolle .... and Jason Was GREAT with his help  :lol:  :lol:  I had a "dry fit" to feel the pit ! ...... and damn .. It's GREAT !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010013.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010014.jpg
Strale Project

All Panels FITS perfectly !!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010015.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010016.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010018.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010021.jpg
Strale Project

This is not a "modified" picture .... i tryed to take a snapshot from behind the trainer.... where there's a big hole in a Rib (air cond ?? .. probably .. or place for wires ! ) ... i liked the result ... even if as it was taken during the night ... well .... it's not clear

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010022.jpg
Strale Project

In this picture you can see the hole i was talking about in the previous picture ... but on the other side ! (with CRU 68 and DTU in place !)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010024.jpg
Strale Project

Some other snapshots !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010034.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010033.jpg
Strale Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Strale/P1010031.jpg
Strale Project

Offline Killn

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »
Davide,

Great pics!  She's gonna be a beauty when she's finished! :beer:  Very nice collection of parts you have there.

Cheers,
Jason
How can I fail when I don't have a purpose?

Marvin

Strale Project
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2006, 08:25:28 AM »
Strale,

Very nice work!!!  Looks like you have a USAF setup..  Just curious though, I think you placed the order wrong for the AVTR and ECM panel.  Otherwise that looks like the cats ass!!  Great work!

Jody

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Strale Project
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2006, 08:32:57 AM »
Fantastic Davide!  Using all the real panels give the pit, well, a more "realistic" feeling.  I know it sounds dumb but your pit really looks like the inside of an F-16.  It was really worth the extra effort.  Thanks for sharing the photos and please keep us posted with updates.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio