mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by Moon
[November 09, 2017, 06:17:45 AM]

F-16 fuselage by Rufus
[November 08, 2017, 09:04:23 PM]

Blaze's Pit by Blaze
[November 07, 2017, 03:27:37 PM]

John's F16 pit progress by Willy
[November 07, 2017, 01:45:56 PM]

Author Topic: ATD - ADVANCED THREAT DISPLAY  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: ATD (Advanced Tactical Display)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »
At least LCD's with DVI or Hdmi Input.

would that be possible?

Just fyi.  many of those small res. screens dont come with DVI or cdmi, WHY should the , when thay can only display 480x240 or some smaller res.

There is no need for that high res on some of those screens in the pit, you will just need super more CPU and GFX power if you have fx. 1920x1080 MDF´s res instead of 800x600.

We do the best we can, I can promise you.

and for the RWR, ATD, EHSI or EADI those are lcd´s in low res.  but OLED would be nice here.

Lets see what the future comes with.
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
It really is a no issue guys, VGA gets easily converted to DP with this:

I use 4 of them and never had any issue

Beside with GPU and DP1.2 min you can use DP hubs and connect 3 of these small screens

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
Nigel and I used the AvionicsLCD 3.5" displays and they are a pretty good fit - a little expensive at $300 but *super* bright and crisp, very high resolution, with a tiny controller board that made integration pretty simple.
http://www.avionicslcd.com/3.5_LCD_VGA/3.5_LCD_screen_VGA_Hand_Hold_LCD_panel_Display.htm

Some eBay seller (SonLight? IIRC) had similar screens for around $50 with a larger (and not as capable) controller board, lower brightness, and lower resolution (480p native compared to AvionicsLCD's 640p/226 dpi).  Same form factor as the AvionicsLCD screens, though.

We had no luck sourcing square OLEDs in unit quantity - and I'd suspect the market is still the same now as then for this size. 

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
I'd be happy with a standard VGA connector, allowing the builder to use any adapter of choice.

And looking at how it's constructed, I think there will b enough shielding that interference should not be an issue... :whistle: ...it's in a box - a metal box?
- Rufus

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Nigel and I used the AvionicsLCD 3.5" displays and they are a pretty good fit - a little expensive at $300 but *super* bright and crisp, very high resolution, with a tiny controller board that made integration pretty simple.
http://www.avionicslcd.com/3.5_LCD_VGA/3.5_LCD_screen_VGA_Hand_Hold_LCD_panel_Display.htm

Some eBay seller (SonLight? IIRC) had similar screens for around $50 with a larger (and not as capable) controller board, lower brightness, and lower resolution (480p native compared to AvionicsLCD's 640p/226 dpi).  Same form factor as the AvionicsLCD screens, though.

We had no luck sourcing square OLEDs in unit quantity - and I'd suspect the market is still the same now as then for this size.

What  would the absolute minimum resolution required be for a fully-functioning ATD screen?

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »
I can tell you that I have for years used a 4" lcd with composite connection and it is super ok for the ATD.

BUT we can do better, we WANT HQ, nice colours, good brightness ect :-)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 03:25:56 AM »
Nigel and I used the AvionicsLCD 3.5" displays and they are a pretty good fit -
that's the one i use as well for the ATD/RWR and EHSI
640x480 and a great screen

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 04:08:39 AM »
What  would the absolute minimum resolution required be for a fully-functioning ATD screen?

480x240 is the minimum but 640x480 looks a LOT better.  Brightness and contrast are also extremely important due to the small form factor and off-angle location of the ATD in the pit.  The AvionicsLCD screen has native 640x480 resolution, 400:1 contrast ratio, and +/-50 degree horizontal viewing angle (extremely important for the ATD, as most LCDs will appear very dim when viewed even slightly off-axis). 

Other less expensive alternatives with mostly similar specs and dimensions are available from

Crystalfontz (CFAF480640A-035T)
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfaf480640a035t-graphic-tft-480x640-640x480-lcd-module
 ($90 for the display; controller board has to be sourced separately)

Prime View (PD035VX2)
(prices vary widely on eBay but complete kit can be had for well under $150.  The controller boards for these displays are significantly larger than AvionicsLCD's controllers, but they support HDMI and/or DVI digital video interfaces if that's important for you compared to standard VGA analog inputs.  The on-screen setup menus are in Chinese by default but are switchable to English.  The controller boards tend to be a little flakey.

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: ATD (Advanced Threat Display)
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 04:13:13 AM »
Thans Gents, its a lot of good help here  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 04:15:15 AM »

Thanks @lightning  for the link  :thumbsup:
I did not know this site, and bookmarked it.
They also have a nice display 6.4" x 6.2" (IIRC  :D)  which would probably be a nice fit for the MFDs.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: ATD (Advanced Threat Display)
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
....hmmmnnn..."HUD on glass"... :notes: .
- Rufus