* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Symulate 02 Platform  (Read 63650 times)

Offline Symulate

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Symulate 02 Platform
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 03:36:04 AM »
Hello all,

I've managed to cut and assembly the Instrument panel program.  It is all held together with brass inserts and 2.5mm CSK bolts.  It can be assembled and disassembled in a few minutes flat.

It looks a bit battle scarred as it is cut from old sheet I had spare but should hopefully give an impression of what is possible.

Please note that at this stage this is practically identical to the plans I offer elsewhere with only a few modifications to make it easier to mount to the CP which I will start cutting this weekend.

Any questions please shout.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 08:40:58 PM »
Nice choice on the material for this job, as it's more flexible than acrylic and should hold up better and not chip, I should think...way cool... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

CobaltUK

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
Any updates on this ? Also is there any progress on the offering of a cutting service as spoken about last year?
F1 season 2017 is almost upon us and I expect you are now ultra busy with that.

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »
Nice work man, what a great setup you have made there  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: super work

Offline hy-fye1

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 03:51:40 AM »
Nice work Sy :thumbsup:

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »
Hello all,

I'm still here and still working on stuff.  I hope to have some further info soon on something else which may be of interest to people.  I've been progressing an aluminium design which I am hoping will allow me to create cheap but hi-fidelity components starting with the CP and Instrument panels.  I'll post more in due course.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
Hello all,

I was going to wait until I had something fully final but I thought I would put this out there now as there are sure to be some good ideas out there which I have overlooked.

I am tending away from PVC for Platform02 as it is still not at the higher fidelity level I would like.  Also, you will still run into thickness issues compared to the real components.  This is especially true when trying to mount monitors within the CP as walls made with any greater thickness than the real thing need to be routed to allow clearance.

With this in mind I have reverted to an aluminium construction using bespoke forming tools.  The idea is that a series of prismatic 1.5mm sheet sections are routed out and then bonded together in a forming jig. 

My methodology so far has been to take the solid model in the downloads section and then to apply some fillet details along the edges where the bond lines will be.  As far as I can tell these rounded edges are present on the real components so no issue with a compromise here.  Using this new model I have thickened the individual faces 1.5mm and then offset them away from the fillet to allow what will be a glue gap.  These can be seen in the first two pictures. 

Returning to the base solid model I have offset thickness the other direction to make a mould.  This has then been 3D printed and inserted to provide fixings.  Where there will be glue contact with the mould I have applied PTFE tape.  The individual panels are milled on my router (a full set in about 30-45 minutes) and then held in position in the mould using 2.5mm cap head bolts.  These panels are also PTFE taped in areas where I don't want glue.  With everything held in place I use a 2-part epoxy in all the glue gaps and leave to set somewhere warm.

After a day or so for the glue to fully go off the complete CP can be lifted out of the mould and where there were gaps between the panels there is now a thin glue line which holds the rounded edge from the fillet.

I have made one so far and I would say I have achieved a 75% success rate.  The glue gap itself was too small in places and thus in some areas the fillet is not present.  With this in mind I have increased the gap and will have another go this week.  I'm pretty sure I can get a very robust clean finish that can be built quickly and cheaply.  The glue join is much stronger than I expected although the glue used does hold racing cars together!  The panels are also primer etched.

I'll attach some pictures of attempt one tonight when I get home but any comments or suggestions with the process are welcome.  The mould and individual panels from CAD are shown below for reference.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 04:35:40 AM »
A low cost F-16 CP, built with F1 construction techniques.  Sounds pretty cool to me!

I look forward to watching your progress on this.

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
All,

Apologies for the poor camera phone shots but this is attempt one where there is too small a glue gap and thus the glue radius is not completely filled.  Also, I didn't PTFE tape the panels, only the mould and hence there is some leakage in places.  I'm set up for another try over the weekend so I will post further progress in due course.

The final shot it the mould itself which was 3D printed.  The CP is made from 1.5mm T6 Aluminium.  My aim is to achieve a clean bonded joint with no glue spill on the panel front and thus to finish it would only need priming and painting with no rubbing back.  As it stands at the moment it would require extra finishing which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
looks good  :clap:

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
Nice work!  I've never seen this technique before.

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
Hello all,

The second iteration worked much better.  There was only one small area where the glue didn't flow properly into the filet mould.  Other than that the joins are generally smooth and if one was so inclined they could be rubbed perfect with a tiny bit of filler and elbow grease.

I'm going to try and make a second one and see if the quality is similar and in the meantime I think I'll paint this one with high pack primer to see if that takes the roughness out of the glue joints.

As I said before these are reasonably easy to produce now so if anyone is interested...

Comments more than welcome.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »
All in all looks pretty good. 

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 03:57:17 PM »
yep, that CP looks very good, now you just need to fill some spots with silicone and cut the feftoves of and then prime and paint  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »
Really nice...I think you've got it... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal