• Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

CPD Software by Maverick996
[March 11, 2024, 06:04:58 AM]

Author Topic: Symulate 02 Platform  (Read 63565 times)

Offline Symulate

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
Symulate 02 Platform
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
Hello all,

I'd like to share some initial work on my next project which is a further iteration of the Symulate Platform.  The first platform is now fully complete and can be found elsewhere on this site.  The 01 Platform was designed to be easily realisable with simple 2D cuts from flat sheet material.  As this was it's primary development focus certain compromises were taken to ensure this objective was realised.

The 02 Platform is intended to be a more high fidelity version and whilst still based around Mike's excellent panel set it will remove some of the compromises by not limiting the construction method or material choice.

Roughly speaking the 02 layout will be made primarily of 1.6mm (16swg) aluminium sheet with composite construction in the more detailed areas using a cast resin system.

So far I have laid out the CP and HUD Box (details below) and am now onto the detailed design prior to prototyping.  The CP will be made of sheet material for the sides, central support and main face which also is folded.  The lower part of the CP and the HUD box are cast resin pieces.  I am pretty sure the HUD Box will be made of several pieces that will from a final bonded assy but I won't really be too sure of that until I get into thinking about moulding. 

I have seen numerous threads elsewhere on this site of people using a standard size LCD to drive the CP gauges.  I recall this being over-length and poking out of the top of the CP into the HUD box.  Does anyone have dimensions of how far this extends both out of the top of the CP and also it's depth from front face to rear.  I hope it is clear from the top left image that there is a recess been designed into the cast HUD box to allow the screen to fit but I need to make sure it is correctly sized before manufacture.  Also, if this screen is generally standard a link to where to purchase it from or a spec sheet might also be useful.

Comments and feedback are welcome.  I realise the HUD box is not completely authentic.  As with the first platform this is an engineering exercise which will hopefully lead to a realisable product.  If people want fully accurate 3D models I suggest they refer to the excellent postings from @Hempstead

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
Re: Symulate 02 Platform
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
Hello all,

I've broken up to the HUD component a bit and started to shell it out.  This is only a preliminary design as I need to consult the casting experts on site, but overall, to me at least, it seems feasible split like this. 

The idea will be to print the original pieces and then make a silicon mould before finally making resin replica components for the HUD Sides, Top, Front and Back.  The bottom pieces which are simple flat sheets will be alu and the whole thing bonded together.  It is likely I will include dowel holes for alignment.  There are cut outs on the side which will allow it to bolt to the Centre Pedestal or these can be blanked off with further alu sheet in-fills.

I'll post more when the details are finalised.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline dolphin

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Captain
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »
.... the 02 layout will be made primarily of 1.6mm (16swg) aluminium sheet with composite construction in the more detailed areas using a cast resin system.....

Hi Sy - just did a search for 1.6mm aluminium sheets in central Europe and the only supplier was an English ebay shop selling 300mmx300mm for 25€. 1.5mm sheets though are widely available for a fraction of the cost.
Will 1.5mm also work?

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
Hello all,

Just thought I'd share a quick update of where I have got to with this.  I have parked the HUD box for now and am back on the CP as I had an idea that instead of resin casting the complicated lower front portion I could vac-form it.  The main chassis and panels would still be sheet metal but the front bit could retain all the nice filleting detail if it is a plastic piece which is bonded onto the chassis.

Anyway - I have been playing with mould making and have now finished the buck which will be vac-formed over in 3mm sheet.

Hopefully will do some trial runs this week.

Thanks,
Sy

PS - Apologies for the picture quality, I only ever have my phone with me when I'm doing this stuff!

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »
hehe THAT is way cool sym. Very very nice man  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Pekay

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
Wow man, whether your work is on paper or in 3D, it is amazing!! Kukki got it spot on, Way Cool!  :thumbsup:
Is that blue insulation foam you are using to shape the mold?   :notes:

Pekay

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
...ok...ok... :cheerleader: ...I'm ready for a set of vac-formed aft glare shields... :whistle: ...nice work!
- Rufus

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 02:58:21 AM »
No it's an epoxy tooling block, TB650 to be precise. It's mainly used for CFRP work as it's very dimensionally stable across a wide range of temps so good for autoclaves. It should work ok for a vac-form mould as well I hope.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Pekay

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 03:16:30 AM »
Read in Wikipedia about CFRP and quite the product. Not something you pick up at the local hardware. Interesting choice of material.

Pekay

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 04:05:08 AM »
I won't be using CFRP for any of the platform parts. It is a nice material to work with but a tad extravagant... I'm trying to make hi-fidelity components at a significantly reduced cost to what's already available so it will mainly be composite parts from alu and either acrylic or high impact polystyrene...

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
Hello all,

I have been quiet on this for a while but it is mainly because I have been putting the finishing touches to a new piece of equipment in the workshop.  It is now fully calibrated and up and running.  500x x 1000y x 200z cutting area, 2.2kw spindle, up to 10m/min feed speed.  It has been fun playing with it but I've now just started cutting material properly for a revised CP construction.

It will be heavily based on the platform plans that I have already published but without any of the compromises forced by simple prismatic cutting.  It will also be pre-machined for standard LCD screen widths etc.  Details to follow but the aim will be to improve fidelity further but make fully cut and/or assembled parts available for people who don't want to manufacture themselves.

I'm also more than happy to try and mill some other bits that people might want.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
For the CP itself, the main differences are detailing around the lower region which now has all of the correct fillets and some further compound angles applied.  The sides are slotted to accept correct width LCD screens which can often be a problem if working with thicker material subsets.  The instrumental panels are joined across the middle to provide a stiffer installation although I envisage the top brace being trimmed depending on whether a short or long hud box is required.

The complete assembly can be made from 3 sheets of material, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm.  The shapes you see in the images below will be bonded together and then milled to form the more complicated lower shapes.  Making thicker sheet from thinner sheets in a bonded assembly is a far more cost effective way of doing it and maximises standard size sheet usage.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Biggles

• General
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »
really nice tool you got there. its gonne save you a ton of time.
Cant wait to see some results.

Biggles.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 12:30:41 AM »
Funny...I've recently spec'd out and costed a gantry to the same working area as yours, @Symulate!  I hope to start buying/collecting parts soon and have mine up and running in the next few months...

...next problem I will have is space available to use it... :whistle: ...
- Rufus

CobaltUK

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
Hi, I stopped reading when you said you might offer a cutting service :)  Have still not located a local workshop for the job so I will be looking for more news on these developments. Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal