* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 146
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Cockpit Side Development  (Read 42867 times)

Offline Symulate

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
Cockpit Side Development
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
Hello all,

I have finished the individual drawings for the RHS Console and just need to put the large assy drawings together and then the build manual.  I am still hopeful of getting this finalised and released prior to the weekend or early next week latest.

However, getting bored of doing stencil after stencil, I took a break and starting blowing up the cockpit sides.  Below is a close to complete assembly minus the detail design work around fixings and assembly clearances.

When finished this will be the fifth and final companion model to complete the platform.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
Re: Cockpit Side Development
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Amazing all the work you do   :clap:

My deepest respect  :hail:
- Henk

Offline Davies

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
I recently discover your work, and I'm sure I will buy your plans to complete my project.
You are doing a very nice work :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm with Henkie too.... :hail: :hail: :hail:

Thanks!

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »
Wow incredible work done here! Respect to all that tons of hours for a couple of crazy guys!

Nice job!  :clap: :thumbsup: :hail:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
Very nice...and very fast... :hail: !
- Rufus

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »
Great job. Sure many people will be thrilled with your developments

Offline KK

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:01:54 AM »
Cadding is one thing, building the cockpit another thing.
I have gone through that hard process of cutting every single rip
out of wood and assembling the whole unit together.
So I made my experiences.
If I look at a design (no matter who did it) I quickly see all the advantages
but also disadvantages.

Looking at your design I notice the following:

1) Although 'somehow' modular, you are using the full width of the pit.
How does one get this through a door frame of with 1m clearance?

2) You are 'wasting' the whole space under the rudder floor, that could be greatly used
for your control system. If you need to place that outside of your pit you have longer cables
(worse signal quality).

3) Your middle section is not open for inserting the ACES from behind. That means you have to
lift the seat above all. Help from your wife??? Enough clearance from the roof?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline Hero

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 04:20:23 AM »
It sure looks nice Hempstead. Beautiful work.
After having designed my own desktop pit in cad I also have some experience lige KK.

The width is one thing, but also the way you have decided to put it together using the holes and groves. It looks smart, but there is way to much fitting work in putting it together. I tryed it and what a pain in the neck.

When I get to making the cad of my pit, it will be made just using holes and the hmm not sure the right word for it, so here is a picture of it.
no groves like in my desktop pit. (the thickness of the plate also varies,)

Keep up the good work you are doing it looks great.

Hero
872nd Fighter Squadron Scandinavia
87th Stray Dogs VFW

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 07:53:21 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I design/assemble things for a living so I am pretty happy that this will be one of the easiest ways to assembly a platform if a novice builder is doing it.  It is all simple 2D cuts and slot/tab construction.  I completely agree though there are different ways of doing it.  Flat pack furniture fittings are great but if you don't manage to line your holes up it won't go together with a strong fixing.  Also, they can't be easily adjusted after the initial holes are drilled.  Slots can be opened up and will still work and provide strong fixing.

I take the comment about wasting space under the floor.  This part is definitely overkill in terms of construction but could easily be modified to add space for putting in electronics / pc chassis' etc.  If there is a strong feeling that this is required I am happy to go back and modify this area after the first iteration is complete.  Any updates will be FoC for people who have already purchased stencil sets.

The widest rib is 562mm so will easily fit through a door.  The floor is less than this.  The four modules can then be assembled together in the final location.  The sills and final bulkheads can then be added if you are building a full platform with sides.  Also the rear bulkhead comes out without the need for any other panels to be removed so the seat can be slid in from the back.

Thanks again,
Sy

HaJa

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
 :outthewindow:

Great job  :thumbsup:

Hempstead

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »

Hmmm.... this is Symulate's work, not mine. I have no hand in this, can't take the credit for it!

Offline Hero

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »

Hmmm.... this is Symulate's work, not mine. I have no hand in this, can't take the credit for it!

heheh sorry for the miss placement of the name, I had just looked at some of your work Hemp.

And ofcause change the name to Symolate. and the rest is still valid :)
Hero
87th Stray Dogs VFW

Offline Hero

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I design/assemble things for a living so I am pretty happy that this will be one of the easiest ways to assembly a platform if a novice builder is doing it.  It is all simple 2D cuts and slot/tab construction.  I completely agree though there are different ways of doing it.  Flat pack furniture fittings are great but if you don't manage to line your holes up it won't go together with a strong fixing.  Also, they can't be easily adjusted after the initial holes are drilled.  Slots can be opened up and will still work and provide strong fixing.

Thanks again,
Sy
Sy I am sure that you know what you are talking about then :)
I dont design and assemply things for a living, i just have my experience from my own project and IKEA :)
In my own project I had the parts cut out with a cnc and there was still some work to get fit in the end, (used some sut and slots) in my construction. I guess my tolerances was to tight :)

Anway I love to watch the different ways of doing this.

Keep up the good work.
Hero
87th Stray Dogs VFW

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »
Hello all,

The canopy side / sill parts are now fully blown up so again it is back to drafting the stencils and putting the build manual together for this final module.

Now the platform is fully complete I'm going to try and get some decent renders of it done so it is easier to see.  The screenshots I have been dumping are straight out of the modeller so are not particularly good quality.  Hopefully the intent it clear however.

Fingers crossed this final piece of the jigsaw should be done and released in the next week or so.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »
Hello all,

This evening I completed all of the drawings / stencils for this final module.

The one unfortunate issue I found is that one of the parts, the new front bulkhead, was too large for an A0 sheet of paper.  I have got round this by splitting this drawing into two and marking clear alignment points in the two drawings.  I had a quick print out and it works well.  Not ideal and I will happily listen to any other suggestions, one alternative being to split this part into two.

The next task will be to complete a build manual and then this final module will be complete.

Any questions please ask...

Regards,
Sy

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 04:16:32 AM »
Very nice work :thumbsup:

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
Hello all,

The build manual for this final module is now complete and attached below for reference.

All of the stencils will need exporting into .pdf and .dxf files but this should all now be done prior to the weekend which will conclude both this project and also the complete platform.

Any questions please ask.

Regards,
Sy

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »
Awesome piece of work...
"If the heat don't get you........"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal