* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 62
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Symulate Cockpit Plans  (Read 99859 times)

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Symulate Cockpit Plans
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:45 AM »
I have said it before, and I say it again @Symulate

Hats off to you   :hail:  and   :clap:  for all the outstanding work you accomplished in so little time.
And the payment you ask is just a small fee. I cannot call that little amount a payment.

If people say your plans are too expensive (or worse: should be freely available), they
a) selected the wrong hobby
b) don't have a clue how much effort is involved in your work
c) better forget about pit building, get a branch from a tree (that's free) and go fishing
    (that might be free)

So please stay and completely ignore the "I want it all for free" fools guys!

- Henk

Fully agree with Henkie.

There is nothing dishonest about the modest fee you are asking for the mountain of work you have done.

Nobody is being forced to buy. People that don't want to pay what you are asking should start doing cad or sketching by themselves.

I keep on repeating great job @Symulate

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 05:49:55 AM »
I also agree with Henkie.

The build manuals and solid model are available for free.  The many hours of skilled work required to produce these items represents a generous contribution to this community.

A small fee for full plans seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Thanks @Symulate for a great job!  :hail:  :vprules:

Frog12

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
It is very reasonable for me too, when you do things that take a lot of time I think it is ok to ask for some compensation back.

Keep up the good work!  :countingmoney:

Chill

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »
At my current budget of about $400 US/year for pit building I'll still need $2k - $3k to finish it when I retire...  I want to take the time to personally thank you for your time and contributions to my dream.  Looking forward to squeezing your plans into my budget.

TC

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »
I have said it before, and I say it again @Symulate

Hats off to you   :hail:  and   :clap:  for all the outstanding work you accomplished in so little time.
And the payment you ask is just a small fee. I cannot call that little amount a payment.

If people say your plans are too expensive (or worse: should be freely available), they
a) selected the wrong hobby
b) don't have a clue how much effort is involved in your work
c) better forget about pit building, get a branch from a tree (that's free) and go fishing
    (that might be free)

So please stay and completely ignore the "I want it all for free" fools guys!

- Henk

Here in the U.S you would have to buy a fishing license.... :D
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

HaJa

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
I agree  :outthewindow: nothing in this world is free unless it is worthless.
Keep up the great work.

Offline Tiffy

• VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
I've been dithering around for years about starting a cockpit build with the biggest issue being a set of plans to build too.  I had resigned myself to having to draw my own due to not being able to get Killin's plans anymore - and this had been the biggest bump in the road.  Now Sy has come along with his plans.

I contacted Sy and got a set of plans from him and having looked over them and read the construction manuals I have to say how impressed I am with how professional and clear these are.  There is a clear Bill of Materials provided and the build instructions are very clear.  If you built Airfix model kits as a kid (or still do) then you can follow these instructions to produce a excellent result only dependant on your ability to cut the required parts from stock.  If cutting parts accurately is an issue for you then the provided DXF files in the top range plans can be used to have these parts CNC cut for you - at that point it really is like a plastic model kit.

Sy discusses alternate ways to assemble the parts, pointing out areas with each that could be problematic.  The main assembly method is to use glue and counter-sunk screws to hold it together but, as pointed out be Sy, you could consider using dowels and glue.

The cut outs for the different instruments have been designed with using either actual parts or those provided by Mike over at ViperPanels.  Each build manual, at the end, has a section indicating which ones of Mike panels (or TM's in the case of the MFD's) would be suitable to finish your construction.

My only criticism I would have of the plans is with the PDF's.  I am assuming that these need to be printed at 100% size but am unsure as I know the PDF panels from XFlight need to be printed at 103% to be actual size.  Having said that a quick test print would indicate the size these need to be print at.

On the whole this is an excellent product, well worth the money, and I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of starting a pit build.

Now with my main excuse for not starting remove by Sy I had better get my arse in gear and build some kind of pit ;)

Offline Symulate

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
Tiffy,

Many thanks for the kind words and I am glad you are happy with the product!

I take on board your criticism about printing pdf's and you are correct that you may have to play around with the print settings to make sure you are getting the correct sizes.  It is for this reason why I included at least one X and one Y dimension on every part so you can confirm what you are printing is correctly sized.  It is not ideal I know but .pdf is a universal format which can be readily scaled.  It also allows tiled printing so even people with an A4 printer can produce properly scaled plans with ident marks for lining up all of the smaller printed pages (fiddly... but I did do it myself to prove it could be done!)

If people have suggestions for other more printer friendly formats I am more than happy to listen and I have done a few specials for people who wanted drawing frames removed etc.

Please keep the feedback coming as I am keen to make sure these are as user friendly and helpful to the community as possible.

Thanks again Tiffy and good luck with your build!
Sy

Offline Lightning101

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 05:37:54 PM »
I often receive some msg about my pit and where to get plans. I always refer to Sy's email. Hope you have make some sale with me.

Nive job!

Offline Pekay

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 12:29:34 AM »
I just got my plans from Sy last week and want to thank him publicly in the forum for a job well done. The plans are written in a very clear and concise way and are easy to follow. Very professional in every way. I too had been too late to acquire Jason's plan and we as a community are very lucky to have someone who can provide plans that can be built in any number of set-ups from the control panel to a seat with the mains and aux panels all the way to full up and skinned. Something for everyone's taste and wallet. I bought the full set (pdf and dxf files) and am truly satisfied with the quality and price. This community rocks because of people like Sy and so many others who share the dream. My hat off to you Sy! :beer:

Pekay
Of course now that everyone knows I have my plans, they are going to expect to see some results. Got to get busy I guess.  :digger:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 01:56:51 AM »
Stop digging, start building  :harhar:

Indeed looking forward to see pictures!
- Henk

Offline ramazoti

• Col.
  • Brand new newbie! :D
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2016, 05:53:53 AM »
+1 i got them also .. but still working on PS Cockpit, to be more familiar with the Connections and so on.
Symulate thanx mate a Job well done  :hail: :clap:
I just got my plans from Sy last week and want to thank him publicly in the forum for a job well done. The plans are written in a very clear and concise way and are easy to follow. Very professional in every way. I too had been too late to acquire Jason's plan and we as a community are very lucky to have someone who can provide plans that can be built in any number of set-ups from the control panel to a seat with the mains and aux panels all the way to full up and skinned. Something for everyone's taste and wallet. I bought the full set (pdf and dxf files) and am truly satisfied with the quality and price. This community rocks because of people like Sy and so many others who share the dream. My hat off to you Sy! :beer:

Pekay
Of course now that everyone knows I have my plans, they are going to expect to see some results. Got to get busy I guess.  :digger:

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
Thanks to you all again for your kind words and support.  I'm always here for questions and help if you need it!

Good luck with your builds!

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Symulate

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 08:03:29 AM »
Hello all,

As promised I will always try and support these plans and following some feedback there are a number of updates I have made to the build manuals.  These are small inconsistencies with part names and thicknesses but obviously incorrect so I apologise to everyone who may have had difficulties with this regard.

To make things absolutely clear.  All drawings, either .pdf or .dxf were 100% accurate, if you built to the drawings you would have had no problem whatsoever.  The only issue was in a few incorrectly described parts in the build manuals only.  Full details are below and the updated build manuals are also uploaded for people that want them.  I will also update the individual summary page.

Many thanks to @Spirit-49th for his feedback in noticing these inconsistencies.

(1)  Centre Pedestal.
Several part numbers on the BOM page of the build manual were incorrect.  These have been updated.

(2)  Floor Construction
Several part thicknesses on the BOM page were incorrect in the build manual.  These have all been updated and now match the drawings and assemblies.
Consistency across all drawings and build manuals for Outer Spa descriptions (was OB Spa in some instances).

(3)  RHS Instrumental Panel
Part 5 thickness updated in build manual to 12mm (the drawing and assy were correct)

(4)  Cockpit Sides
Several part thicknesses were incorrect in the build manual.  These have all been updated and now match the drawings and assemblies.

Again, issues were in the build manuals only.  Drawings and Assys are all correct and unchanged.

Apologies one last time and good luck everyone with your builds.

Thanks,
Sy

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 08:16:31 AM »
Thanks for helping the community  :thumbsup:

Asi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal